Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mods, put this were necessary...
Hey everyone, I've been a member for maybe 8 years now and used to be on here quite a bit. I sorta dissapeared (spl?) some time ago, basically just getting away from social media. I left FB in 2011 and havent looked back though my acct is still searchable. Anywho, you know how everyone has their demons?? Time for me to come clean (almost sounds like I committed a crime). I had been an alcoholic daily drinker for years and the diet was starting to effect everything. It got so bad I couldnt function without it, shaky hands and withdrawls. It ended with an ER visit almost a year ago and now I'm 100% sober! My recovery has been incredibly easy because I've turned my new habit into hitting the weights...8 months worth so far. Just the other day I was cleaning my backyard and I rediscovered a Halloween hearse I had started to build, prolly back in 2015. Well, unfortunately I'm gonna burn that one and start anew. The great part is is now that I'm sober I'm like 1000% energized to get sh*t done! I'm totally stoked for Halloween2020. I'm gonna be a building fool haha. I even started a youtube blog about my recovery in which I have a touch of my 2019 yard haunt, it was almost a bust due to cold weather. I'll be posting pics as I go and I hope to reconnect with you all...or just meet you in general. Happy Halloween!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually never left my love for Halloween, I just got incredibly lazy once that first sip happened. I'm a gatorade junky now which is my new drum roll Alcohade. See what I did there??

·
Registered
414 Posts
Congrats on the recovery! I never could get shit done when I was a drinker. I'm to the point where I don't miss it at all. Hopefully, you'll get there, too!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
As someone whose father died from alcoholism, I have deep respect for anyone who stands up to this horrible disease.
This is an awful club to belong to but I'm a card carrying member too. I am 53 & I have now lived 3 years longer than my father did. I know I channel my addictive personality traits I got from that side of the family into other things, Halloween, my cats, gardening & Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers. I've always known I have that "thing" both my father (along with both his parents) had so I went another direction.

Seriously glad to hear you're not going to be a member of it Iowaguy. If you ever need anyone to vent to, feel free to PM me.

PLEASE let us see that hearse before you burn it, because as my Bob Ross quote says, no mistakes only happy little accidents. It might be salvageable or adapted to something else.

Can't wait to see what you build & give us a link to your Youtube when you're ready.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is an awful club to belong to but I'm a card carrying member too. I am 53 & I have now lived 3 years longer than my father did. I know I channel my addictive personality traits I got from that side of the family into other things, Halloween, my cats, gardening & Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers. I've always known I have that "thing" both my father (along with both his parents) had so I went another direction.

Seriously glad to hear you're not going to be a member of it Iowaguy. If you ever need anyone to vent to, feel free to PM me.

PLEASE let us see that hearse before you burn it, because as my Bob Ross quote says, no mistakes only happy little accidents. It might be salvageable or adapted to something else.

Can't wait to see what you build & give us a link to your Youtube when you're ready.
I think about that ALL the time, too! My dad died at 58 and I turn 54 in about a month. I do the math often but my lifestyle, luckily, is a lot more healthy than his. My love of Halloween is absolutely from him, too! We were one of the only families I knew that decorated with what little there was in those days (Gurley candles and Beistle cardboard cut-outs). He was always the ringleader on that and Halloween parties with bobbing for apples, etc. Also, on the more serious side, it's the only holiday I can remember that didn't have an ugly alcohol-related memory attached to it - only good ones. I made that connection very recently.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,610 Posts
Same here. It wasn't "is he gonna be drunk this Christmas" it was always "HOW drunk is he gonna be". I always knew he wasn't going to see 90, but I never thought he'd die at 50.

My father used to help with Halloween too. He'd get some friends, only have a few beers, get some of my masks, sit around in a display or behind a sheet on our carport & then they'd pop out & scare kids. I didn't have a HUGE display but we had a small front yard & I would spend all day doing it with him. My grandfather was gone by the time I got into doing yard stuff in the 90s, but if he'd been there he would've had a mask on too. My grandmother was still around & loved all the ToTers. And that was back when we had TONS of ToTers too.

FTR I grew up with my great-grandparents & grandparents. They were ahead of their time in the 70s/80s raising their grandkids. Now that's common, back then notsomuch.

Anyhooo...[/END THREAD HIJACK]

Sorry IowaGuy!! Once again, keep up the good work & make sure to keep us in the loop on the new builds.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel like I've either wasted or slept the last 10-13 years of my life away from drinking. In the non workdays and weekends I'd wake up at 9am and make myself a mixed drink. Hell I could prolly drink 4 or 5 half and half mixed drinks and you would never notice. I guess my friends called me a high performing alcoholic? I would start projects and my energy would gradually decrease as the alchy kicked in, leading me to eat and that would crash my system for 2-4 hours. I'd wake up and start the whole process over again. My stomach acid was bad enough I was puking Every morning. SO HAPPY THAT PART OF MY LIFE IS OVER! If anyone is interested in my vlog hit me up. Weather permitting, this Halloween 2020 is gonna be drum roll Killer :p.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been a member for maybe 8 years now and used to be on here quite a bit. I sorta dissapeared (spl?) some time ago, basically just getting away from social media. I left FB in 2011 and havent looked back though my acct is still searchable. Anywho, you know how everyone has their demons?? Time for me to come clean (almost sounds like I committed a crime). I had been an alcoholic daily drinker for years and the diet was starting to effect everything. It got so bad I couldnt function without it, shaky hands and withdrawls. It ended with an ER visit almost a year ago and now I'm 100% sober! My recovery has been incredibly easy because I've turned my new habit into hitting the weights...8 months worth so far. Just the other day I was cleaning my backyard and I rediscovered a Halloween hearse I had started to build, prolly back in 2015. Well, unfortunately I'm gonna burn that one and start anew. The great part is is now that I'm sober I'm like 1000% energized to get sh*t done! I'm totally stoked for Halloween2020. I'm gonna be a building fool haha. I even started a youtube blog about my recovery in which I have a touch of my 2019 yard haunt, it was almost a bust due to cold weather. I'll be posting pics as I go and I hope to reconnect with you all...or just meet you in general. Happy Halloween!!
Major congrats on being sober!

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Really wonderful to hear. Congrats to you and happy to be reading your posts here. We'll also look forward to seeing some of your projects take shape--share photos!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've actually started the blueprints to my hearse, it's a better design, gonna be a bit heavy but durable fosho. I'll get picks of the new and old soon enough

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I am very proud of you for kicking that habit and remaining sober. I lost my husband to that dreaded disease.....so I know. "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and Wisdom to know the difference".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Congratulations on your sobriety!!!!
And welcome back! I also can't wait for Halloween 2020!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to read this, but happy to hear you are on the mend. Take care of yourself buddy, and thanks for sharing! We're happy to see you back and in great shape.

Michael

·
Registered
6 Posts
No, I don't know you, but I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!! Congratulations on getting over that mountain! Can't WAIT to see your work! Thank you for sharing your story.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So happy for you! We are all pulling for putting this behind you and having the most incredible Halloween this year ever! Can’t wait to see the new hearse, love your enthusiasm, and I agree, show us the one you have. As you know, we are oftentimes our own worst critic. Can’t wait to see what you come up with this year! 😊

·
Registered
909 Posts
@IowaGuy
Its awesome that you are regaining your health, stamina & freedom from such a brutal condition. I love lifting weights too. Have you ever tried kick boxing? Check out

1 - 20 of 25 Posts