Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this year I told my sons, who are 29 and 27, that I'm turning all operational planning of Halloween to them. I'm focusing on making props, and it's up to them to determine the layout. I gave them a lot of freedom to do this last year and they did a great job, but they started making grand plans last Halloween night that I thought would be interesting to see if they still had them this year. :)

One of the problems we had last year is we have so much stuff that having people just walk up our driveway and to the front of the house throws so much stuff at them that half of it is missed, so what the kids wanted to do is make a walkthrough that runs from the street on one side of our house, around the front yard and to the porch, then out to the driveway and back to the street. We used Google Earth and PowerPoint to come up with this proposed map:

So now the reality of cost is starting to hit them. :) I warned them last year that they better start budgeting or buying materials every month and not wait until October to start getting ready. Needless to say... Dad's advice was ignored. :) So their plans of building a PVC pipe structure and using tarps for the walls has gone away. We went to Home Depot yesterday to see what options they had and we found they sell 1"x2"x10ft pieces of pine for .99 each, so instead of paying $5 for PVC they're going to get the pine. And instead of tarps they're going with 4 mil black cover plastic that's going to cost them about $66. So they've lowered their costs from about $272 to $134.

It's going to be interesting to see if they actually pull this off. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They wanted to run the walkthrough back to the pool and make a bridge across it, then put these Jaws masks in the water and dye it red, but we figured liability risks would be too high.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's a couple of feet. I used to have a bunch of shark jaws, including one set from a 17-ft long Bull shark that was about two feet across. One of our neighbors borrowed them one year and made them into a costume for one of her kids. She made a fabric shark body that hung down from the jaws, and a head that extended from the kid's waist up to his head and hid a pair of suspenders that hung the jaws at the kid's waist, so it looked like the shark was coming up under him and eating him up to the waist. It was a super cool costume and I wish I still had pics of it.

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
They wanted to run the walkthrough back to the pool and make a bridge across it, then put these Jaws masks in the water and dye it red, but we figured liability risks would be too high.

lol.

I always wanted a pool to put one of those big mist machines in and do a full on creature from the black lagoon.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We used to keep our Creature From The Black Lagoon out by our pool, but the humidity was causing his skin to peel so he spends the off season in our family room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts