Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to do a Jolly Roger for my pirate display this year. I retro fitted this talking Disney skull I got off eBay with the Jemmy talk board. This was another super fun and easy retrofit. I think its a good start. I need to do some audio adjustments and some more tweaking but it's another project started for this year. Trying to recruit my wife to do the foam background/sign. Will need to figure out how to mount this to a foam sign I am thinking of making. Anyway hope you like it. I will update with progress.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Cool. I think I have that same skull and crossbones somewhere. Like what you did with it.

I was thinking if you mounted the foam sign on a wooden frame with a center wooden bar, you could probably screw or bolt the skull through the foam and into the wood assuming you want it centered on the sign. If the frame works it would probably be much lighter than a plywood back. I haven't gotten into that kind of prop building yet but that's how I would try to approach it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the great tips. I will need them. Matrixmom your sign is awesome. I think that turned out fantastic. I hope I can do one as good. This will be my first attempt at doing some lettering on a sign. I do have a dremel, so I hope I can figure out how to cut the lettering out. I had trouble trying to transfer the letters on my first try last year so I quickly abandoned that. Gonna give it another try for this sign.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats awesome danski....for the background board I did this: View attachment 272832

or you could do what defenestrator did- check his albums- it has the red cloth with the crossing swords.
This is inspiring. Did you do a how to on this by chance? Something like this might make it easy on me if I can do the carving. Did you also use a dremel?

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,258 Posts
Yes, just printed out the words on the computer, placed the paper on the foam, (taped) and with an exacto traced the letters. Remove the paper, now trace the letters with a marker so you can see the letters when you cutting away with the dremel. You def need these attachments to make your life easier while dremeling:

Cable Technology Electronics accessory Electronic device Wire
Auto part Hardware accessory Bicycle seatpost clamp

The shaft is is so much lighter than the dremel for doing some freehanded stuff and cleaning up edges on letters. Making the gauges and what not. I never use the dremel itself. Its always attached to this extender. You do have to place the actual dremel higher than your work area when attached or it won't work.

The router you set so the bit won't go too deep or shallow and they will be consistent depth.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, just printed out the words on the computer, placed the paper on the foam, (taped) and with an exacto traced the letters. Remove the paper, now trace the letters with a marker so you can see the letters when you cutting away with the dremel. You def need these attachments to make your life easier while dremeling:

View attachment 272857 View attachment 272858

The shaft is is so much lighter than the dremel for doing some freehanded stuff and cleaning up edges on letters. Making the gauges and what not. I never use the dremel itself. Its always attached to this extender. You do have to place the actual dremel higher than your work area when attached or it won't work.

The router you set so the bit won't go too deep or shallow and they will be consistent depth.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the tips. I happen to have both of those attachments. Now to finally put them to use.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Minor update. Just some small progress. I will try to add some lettering and paint soon. Nothing major. My Jemmy talk is all complete for this talking skull. I plan on adding * dead men tell no tales * and route out the back for a small piece of wood to mount the talking skull. Hopefully it all comes together. The foam is a 5$ piece from homedepot. Going to look for a good font for the wording. I can't help but add how easy it was to convert this skull with the Jemmy talk board. That was the easy part. The lettering and cutting out is my challenge.
Green Skull Illustration Drawing Bone

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the same Jolly Roger that you have. Photos would be great. I've built many talking skulls and heads but those that I've worked with use servos and I would simply program in VSA or Director. I would also like to know if there is a link to download the audio. Also is the audio uploaded into a chip?
Thanks again

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
You can find the entire soundtrack here:
Pirates of the Caribbean - The Float Through - Ri…: http://youtu.be/fjoylDuzUlg
You can use KeepVid to download it to your PC. I then use an audio editor to get whatever section of the soundtrack I need. There may be other sites where you can directly download each portion, do a search on Pirates of the Caribbean "The float through". As for the wiring inside the Jolly Roger, I can help you with that, I know the wire colors.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts