Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, believe it or not I'm 25 years old and this is the FIRST Jack O' Lantern I've ever carved! It took me a couple hours, but I like it. Inside is a battery powered light. Thanks for looking!

(Sorry for the quality, I took these with my Blackberry.)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Great job! It's been YEARS since I've carved a jack.

It looks like one of those terrific 1920s-30s Halloween cats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments!

I'm kind of looking forward to it aging and looking a bit "gnarled". I was kind of going for a cat/kabuki mask sort of style.. but I did pretty much draw it on a whim. I am sort of itching to make a few more! It was tons of fun!

·
How about a magic trick?
1,002 Posts
Wow. Nice job. :D
To keep it from shriveling, place it in your fridge over night,
covered in plastic wrap (loosely covered - not tight)

And if it does shrivel, place the entire JOL in a large tub (or sink)
covered w/ ice cold water for an hour or 2,
and it will be like new!

Make sure you dry it off very well before you re-light it.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,862 Posts
Lovely job, but you have to try it at least one time with a real candle - it just isn't as good without the singed pumpkin smell! (and I rub cinnamon on the lid to get a lovely pumpkin pie smell! :D)

Great looking pumpkin!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well that battery powered light lasted all of a couple of hours. Two C batteries! Dead! So I am using a tealight temporarily. Here are some pictures of my JOL with some more "natural" lighting. Man I wish I had some cinnamon..

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Congratulatiions!

I carved my first jack when my daughter was two months old (had to celebrate her first Halloween ya know!) so that put me at 24. It was just something we did not do growing up. But I've made sure that my kids have had the pleasure every single Halloween for the last 21 years and I'm sure they're going to continue the tradition.

If you want to make him last a little while longer, wash him inside and out with a solution of bleach and water and keep him in the fridge when not displayed. Enjoy!

·
I'll get you my pretty!
550 Posts
great job - and your first one ever? amazing at that! i tend to use a glowstick inside my outside pumpkins - they last all night & don't get blown out if the weather is bad & safe to leave unattented too :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts