Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my birthday this year I was given this awesome looking metal cauldron, so my brain immediately went to work on how to best incorporate it into our display. We have the rising swamp hag coming out of a stump in our bayou area, so I decided it made most sense next to her. Our bayou area is a "shooting gallery" with laser pointers so kids can set the props off themselves, hence the target on the cauldron. When hit with the laser it sets off a fire and ice style light inside.

I can never leave anything be as is and had to add the little goblin getting his free drink and BBQ.

Big thanks to Oak Lane Cemetery for inspiration and tips on making the brew inside the cauldron.

In daylight:

PsmIvZl.jpg

8VjgNAN.jpg

praje7Y.jpg

qoj4NdT.jpg

And here are some in the dark. Once it's in the yard I'll work on lighting to make sure the details and little goblin are visible, but this was just to test:

f2liKF7.jpg

5PS9fqE.jpg

CrK5Qci.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
How did you get the brew going in to the goblins mug like that? It is really amazing detail.... I love the goblin, hes so cute, I mean spooky......... No I cant help it, he freaking adorable lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone!

Where did you get the Cauldron, it is awesome?
It was a gift so I don't know unfortunately! But it was not from a Halloween place, I think it was from a more authentic rustic decor warehouse.

How did you get the bubbles on your brew? This is really cool... Great work.
The bubbles are just the little capsules prizes come in from a 25 cent prize machine at the grocery store. The rest of the brew is a piece of plexiglass, hot glue and some bugs like Oak Lance Cemetery did in their awesome tutorial. I wanted an almost classic animation looking green brew so I sprayed it all with green stained glass spray paint. It looks "wet" and allows the light to come through great.

How did you get the brew going in to the goblins mug like that? It is really amazing detail.... I love the goblin, hes so cute, I mean spooky......... No I cant help it, he freaking adorable lol
It is just a piece of plastic tubing glued into the mug and then lots of hot glue to make it look like his mug is overflowing. The other side of the tube is just stuck into a hole in the cauldron. Just like the rest of it I sprayed it with the stained glass spray paint. If you're gonna try this just make sure it is the frosted white plastic tubing and not clear rubber tubing, I found that the paint never cures on the rubber, it was still sticky days after.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The whole piece is stunning!!! Love every little detail you captured!!! This made me do a double take.....definitely interesting to the eye!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Really stunning Cauldron, Rustie!!

Any resources on the shooting gallery? I've had this plan on the back burner for a few years now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Really stunning Cauldron, Rustie!!

Any resources on the shooting gallery? I've had this plan on the back burner for a few years now.
Mine is very simply done, it's a few motion activated props and some others that were sound activated or had a try me button that I spliced the motion sensors onto. From there I just added the targets and have laser pointers on ropes for kids to use.

Here is a video of a test run through the targets:

Most of them have been customized in some way to fit the bayou theme. You can see close up pics of everything on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/turnsworthcemetery/photos/?tab=album&album_id=255584674966210

And just for the heck of it here is the store bought swamp hag coming out of a stump I made that will go with this cauldron:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am kind of obsessed with you right lol........ Really awesome work Rustie....

I just bought my Caluldron today. Just a plastic one, but I am excited to get started. I ordered the plexiglass it will be here satuday, so until then I wait.... Well not really because I have like 5 other projects going and a million things to do but I want to start this one NOW haha...... My husband is about to turn me into a Halloween prop. I have asked him if he could pretty please kill me after Halloween so I can at least enjoy it this year. He is not amused lol :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts