Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started this last year in the end of June, but by the time of Halloween lastyear, it wasn't done. I ran out of funds and it just wasnt going to happen. With my giant pirate display lastyear, this wasnt going to be done

well this year IT WILL BE!
All construction of the hearse is done, and all I need to do it the minor detail work and spruce it up a bit. Im going to add a toe pincher inside that will open and close with a hand, some eerie curtains and flicker bulbs in the coach lights.

enjoy the pics

(sorry the pics stink, the iPhone isnt the best at dusk.)
oh yea, this thing weighs a TON, lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yea and remember, unless you use real carriage wheels or make your frame SUPER light, like under 50 pounds, DO NOT think that decorative 36 wheels from harbor freight can hold up your construction. i had 4 people move it including me, and we had to keep taking breaks, its awkward to carry and it weighs soooo much.

dont forget to add "legs" to support the whole thing. i learned this the hard way as i had to buy 4 new wheels as last weekend we got it on the ground, it rolled for like a foot, then crashed to the ground, llol

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Mistakes are good....especially when you post them so the rest of us dont make the same ones haha

That thing looks really great! I especially love how low it is and those two doors at the end with the crosses. Can't wait to see it with the finishing touches done.

MsM

·
Registered
574 Posts
haha yea and remember, unless you use real carriage wheels or make your frame SUPER light, like under 50 pounds, DO NOT think that decorative 36 wheels from harbor freight can hold up your construction. i had 4 people move it including me, and we had to keep taking breaks, its awkward to carry and it weighs soooo much.

dont forget to add "legs" to support the whole thing. i learned this the hard way as i had to buy 4 new wheels as last weekend we got it on the ground, it rolled for like a foot, then crashed to the ground, llol
Great work.

Let me make a suggestion for moving it without killing yourself... Harbor Freight and others make a hydraulic lift table that has wheels on the bottom. I use mine to move pinball machines (400+ pounds) around. While the stock casters don't roll well in grass, it's a lot easier to use this to move something as obviously heavy as your hearse across the driveway than dead-lifting it. With some plywood pieces, you could also use it on grass. Or, with a little welding, you could put some real wheels on it.

Craig

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i got the lights wired up today and added a curtain on one side. Im going to add another curtain to the other side as well.

tomorrow im building the Coffin to go inside with the lid that will open and close with a wiper blade motor.

here are some updated pics.

·
Registered
13,904 Posts
Oh my god you weren't kidding when you said "horse drawn hearse"! Very, very cool. Definitely a plus for living away from the city!! When I see pics of projects like this I know why I spend so much time on this forum.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Cool

It looks great but it still looks like it is still undergoing paint jobs. Perhaps a clear gloss overcoat and some gold accents to match the lights? I know you can buy gold spray aint at lowes its the valsoar kind and makes wood look like it has been gold leafed. I would do one but my theme this year is open house night at the blackwood asylum for the criminally insane. i have an electric chair, a shipping crate big enough to crouch in (its called the isotation unit.) and a headless guy string up to a post with big tubes pumping blood in and out of his neck (at blackwood not even death lets you out) I just don't tink a hearse wouold fit in.
good job

i recognize a bunch of what you used from lowes and home depot. I never would have thought to use them is this manner though.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as far as the paint goes, i kept it as a flat black. there are some places like on the wheels that the spray paint can got too close and left it darker than other places. i know most real life hearses have a gloss paint look, but i decided to go flat black. You think gloss would be better?

Also, every time I take these pictures, its either in the rain or after a good rain, so most of it is wet, haha.

im going to be adding some trip and molding to the top and other places on it. thanks for the idea of the gold leafing technique, that sounds good.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well I'm inspired, very nice job so far, I've been looking for something to put my casket in, that would be protected from the rain, I do a canned food drive to fill a coffin and this is perfect.

·
Registered
425 Posts
wall as far as the glossing goes... what look are you going for? If its a new funeral then gloss it but if you want an old dilapidated cemetery then don't gloss it. also if you want to age it here is a technique that i discovered for simulation rust and dripping blood etc. Take some craft acrylic paint and squirt a small glob where you want your drippage to start. then spray with water. it will run and bleed. i discovered this by painting some scrubs last year and left them outside and the dew had mad them look really nasty. it looks real bc the paint soaked into the material so it had a realistic look.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts