Halloween Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several request for more pics of the hearse. So here they are. I started by making a Plywood box. For extra strength the bottom is beefed up with a 2 x 4 frame. The weight of the hearse is carried by black saw horses that also support the wheels and axles. this allows me to put as much weight in as I want. To save time I bought the wheels at Garden Ridge. They weren't cheap but I didn't have time to make them. To save even more money I only have wheels on one side.

There are 4 columns down each side. They are made from PVC drain pipes cut in half then nailed to blocks attached to the plywood. I managed to find enough Plexiglas at thrift stores to cover all the windows, so the entire thing is enclosed. To add a little more interest I made a barrel vault for the roof. I cut arced frames out of old pallet wood and covered it with thin Masonite. The gold finials are from the local building supply store and used to top fences. Several other gold ornaments are just random things I found at thrift stores.

One year I am planning to use the hearse as a display case for my Lemax Halloween village. Because the village is delicate, I have never had it on display for the general public. It has always been set up inside only for viewing by my invited guest. With the windows, the houses should be safe.

For storage reasons, made the sides, roof and drivers cab to come off with just a few screws. I also put dolly wheels on the framed bottom piece so that I can stack all the other pieces on top and roll it around the warehouse when needed.

For my own sanity and pocket book, I do a graveyard every other year. In the other years a try to do a new theme. 2012 - was the Mayan Apocalypse, 2010 - was Carn-evil. Next year theme is Pirates. I am taking my inspiration from Assassins Creed 4 - Black flag!

Happy haunting and keep on building!

P.S. The horse is detailed in another thread called "How to make a dead horse"

Attachments

·
Registered
897 Posts
AWESOME JOB! It looks great. Hey...I love budget friendly projects... why pay for wheels nobody is going to see? Honestly I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it and I don't think your saw horses would be noticable at night especially if you have a fog machine nearby.

It is a great idea to use the hearse as a display for your Halloween village. Very creative. I hope you share pictures of the display when you get it done.

Marie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts