Halloween Forum banner

161 - 180 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Question for you guys who are oh so crafty :D....can you use wall stencils and use them on plastic sheeting? Wondering if any one has experimented with plastic spray paint or other paint used on this type of sheeting material. I would love to create wallpaper with a vintage look and don't want to spend a lot for the material and need it to hold up to the moisture/fog/condensation at night. Welcome any suggestions that could give me some height. I'm thinking I might use this on our garage door which is 7 feet high and also on our side fence which is also 7 feet high. Thanks.
I've seen both printed vinyl and plastic tablecloths with patterns (like damask) that easily could look like wallpaper. Same with shower curtains - as a matter of fact I've seen damask patterned ones at a local dollar type store. Walmart carries some too - the fabric shower curtains will be a little more expensive but you know they can take the moisture.

Damask shower curtain.jpg

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Thanks Poco. :D The shower curtain is an interesting idea. Do you really think Dollar Tree might have something like that? I do remember seeing a bath area but am always hitting other departments and never really looked to see what they carry. I like the waterproof aspect to it. I'm pretty low on funds until the end of the week so DT would help out. I'll check out the tablecloth area too.

Frogkid, love your sign. The typeface looks awesome. I was reading your post about not having a pico and was wondering if you couldn't add white light to the red part and light the whole sign white but also run your red lighting on a separate circuit using a flasher. As it heats up the flasher kicks in and will cause the red string to flash on and off. I'm sure the red would be visible and thereby light up that section to indicate your "message". Flashers are really cheap too, a few bucks, and you plug it into the outlet and then plug your string into the flasher. I'll see if I can find a link to post. i bought mine a few years back at an True Value or Ace Hardware store.

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Frogkid, thanks to our seach engine here and the fact I remember posting about this device before I found this link for you: http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Cooper-Wiring-C471-10-Winker-Lampholder-Adapter-15-To-100-Watts-4169421.html these guys are listed as a Google Trusted shopping site BTW. Newegg.com also has them and w/shipping might be slightly better pricing. Here's an Ebay source that shows the packaging on it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/261298942505?lpid=82. As I mentioned I found mine locally so save on shipping.

Some places call this a flasher or sometimes a winker adapter or plug. I see the first store has it listed under blinkers. They use to use these years ago to add some animation of Christmas tree lights, now we have better controls but these do still serve a purpose, cost little and take up little room for the effect. They are not that commonly used so if you want to pursue this idea, make sure you have the part number etc with you when you check your local hardware store or just order online if you have enough time to get it in time. I had better luck with the smaller specialty hardware store as opposed to HD or Lowes.

They also use to have something called a winker that was a disk you inserted into a light socket or was a socket adapter that you screwed a light bulb into. The disk/special socket adapter effectively did a similar effect to the winker plug.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thought I'd check in again with some updates...
Our hotel is slowely starting to look an abandoned hotel :)

First a picture of the hallway turning into our lobby/reception area:

IMG-20131021-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20131021-WA0005.jpg

Our luggage:
IMG-20131021-WA0006.jpg

We started decorating what will be the diningroom.
IMAG0430.jpg
IMG-20131020-WA0013.jpg

Looks like our hotel will be ready for the grand re-opening party on saturday!!!

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Thought I'd check in again with some updates...
Our hotel is slowely starting to look an abandoned hotel :)

Looks like our hotel will be ready for the grand re-opening party on saturday!!!
Your hotel looks great, Kirsten. I do so love your luggage cart - how did you make it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks frogkid,

we are very happy with how it turned out. Our base is a square board on wheels. it's a little cart we use to move heavy furniture.
for the frame we used wood and a hoop that we had lying around.
Coverd it all in aluminiumfoil and distressed it with al little drybrushed black paint.
It still looks kinda shiny in the pic but that's caused by the flash.
in reality it looks like old and stained metal...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Love the haunted hotel theme! We did one last year and looking at your great pics I'm wishing we were doing it again this year.
In fact I just shared our "hotel rules" in the literature - poetry section. We had them printed up on blood spattered parchment and nailed to the front door. :)

Thanks for sharing the pics!

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Love the haunted hotel theme! We did one last year and looking at your great pics I'm wishing we were doing it again this year.
In fact I just shared our "hotel rules" in the literature - poetry section. We had them printed up on blood spattered parchment and nailed to the front door. :)

Hey LittleBoo, thanks for checking us out. Do you happen to have pics of your hotel set up that you can share?

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #171

Hey LittleBoo, thanks for checking us out. Do you happen to have pics of your hotel set up that you can share?

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Thanks frogkid,

we are very happy with how it turned out. Our base is a square board on wheels. it's a little cart we use to move heavy furniture.
for the frame we used wood and a hoop that we had lying around.
Coverd it all in aluminiumfoil and distressed it with al little drybrushed black paint.
It still looks kinda shiny in the pic but that's caused by the flash.
in reality it looks like old and stained metal...
Oh Oh Oh LOVE the baggage cart!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
We moved from the Midwest down to Florida, so lots of stuff is still in chaos... but if I can find the chips with the digital pics, I will happily post them.:eek:

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Harbor Freight has some decent prices on the frame-and-wheels moving dollies and if you can get a 25% off coupon to use, even better deal. Might even be cheaper than plywood and screwing on 4 wheels.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I thought you might like that prop, Hilda. Now, you can't blame me when you find yourself at Home Depot tomorrow morning looking for an appliance moving cart :D
Lolll just blame me Hilda...takes some of the pressure of Frogkid ;)
LOLOL I know what I am doing all winter! ;) Keep the inspiration coming!! :D :D :D

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
LOLOL I know what I am doing all winter! ;) Keep the inspiration coming!! :D :D :D
Well Hilda, if you keep the hotel theme every year, I'll be sending you a little something before Halloween 2014. :)

161 - 180 of 211 Posts