Halloween Forum banner

181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Here's where my status is on things with this theme. I'm such a procrastinator but we've had so many other issues to suck up our time that I'm glad I'm just doing a Halloween Day haunt set up and not a party too.

I'm not sure how Frogkid and Hilda removed the ostrich feathers from their feather dusters, but Libman makes a pretty sturdy duster and the handle and feathers are in there tightly! I hate to take an X-Acto to the feathers yet, and finally located my Big Lots dremel-like cutting tool so later today will try opening up the base where the feathers are attached. My hot glue gun is now located (almost all of our tools, my craft stuff, is still packed away) so hoping this project is pretty simple and straightforward. The tabletop witch's broom that I got from GR had little witch's hands on the broom and I was able to twist/break the glue bond there to get them off without damaging anything. Hoping to get this duster done today.

My Room Key Board parts are all gathered together although I still need primer for the wood and some wood glue for the wood embellishments. Will need primer for my poles that will end up being the roped off area at the elevator. Hope I can pull the elevator together like I want.

This weekend I will buy Dminor's Ghost Maid projection and try it out with a cheapie projector from CVS which I picked up last year. If it doesn't work well enough hubby will see if he can borrow one from his office for that night. Hoping next year we'll get a good projector so we have at least one that is super bright. The cheap ones are fine for some stuff so are still useful. The front of our house gets light from the street light so anything we project from those windows is competing with those darn street lights that wash the windows. The kids, and parents too, really enjoy seeing the projections so I do feel it's worth the price of a higher lumen machine. The prices keep coming down and the size of them has shrunk as well. Is anyone else doing projections in their hotel?

Oh I'm also ready to set up my hotel directory board so should get the foamboard cut and letters mounted.

As you can tell I am way behind all you guys but you've been my inspiration as well. Can't wait to here how the parties this weekend go and the reaction you get from your party goers.

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Hey GOS, my feather duster had a long, silver wire that wrapped just inside of the feather duster handle and released the actual feathers. It was wrapped around several times and seemed like it would never end - but once it was undone, the feathers came out pretty easy.

Good luck with your set- up. My party is tomorrow and I've still yet to "dust" the hotel to make it more ancient but almost is everything is ready. I'll take pictures tomorrow and post here over the weekend.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Welllll...tonight it's partytime in our hotel... (right now it's 6 am on saturday 26th). Actually wintertime will be starting tonight so we'll have an extra hour to party!!! :)
The hotel is pretty much finished..we need to add a little flickering light here and there and some more cobwebs and we're ready for the grand re-opening
This week I send out a tekstmessage to all our guests.

It was a newsletter from the Hotel. In it, we told everybody how hard we were working to get the hotel in shape for the party. And despite of some minor setbacks (which included a complete team of workers that went missing and modernisations that were done where the next day everything looked like 1953 all over again) we were sure the party would be a big hit.
That message really freaked out some of the recipiants loll

I guess it's safe to say we're as ready as we'll ever be. I'll take some pictures tonight with t he lights and all..

Just wanted to wish everybody a lot of fun who's parties will be this weekend...

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Looking forward to hear about both of yours. I like the differences in themes.

Thanks Frogkid BTW for the tip on the wire.

Hilda, when is your party?

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
Just popping in to wish everyone a Happy Haunting on your hotel's Grand Opening tonight. :) Remember if there's something you didn't finish, nobody will know but you, everyone else will be amazed at what you did accomplish; relax, have fun; and most important of all - don't forget to Take Pictures!

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Tannasgash, when is your party? I was thinking of you the other day and wanted to check in on your B&B setup but ran short of time here. Can you link to your thread for me? I seem to think it was in a different area. All of you guys have been doing such an amazing job with all the detail you have added.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Looking forward to hear about both of yours. I like the differences in themes.

Thanks Frogkid BTW for the tip on the wire.

Hilda, when is your party?
I too am looking forward to everyone's pictures! We are not having an actual party this year. We have sort of an 'open house' and friends and family can visit anytime over this weekend and the coming week. Last night a bunch of relatives came from New Jersey and brought a party with them! Food, fresh made apple cider donuts and fresh apple cider from a farm stand one of them runs. It was a HOOT. My B&B or whatever it is going to be is only a fraction finished. I am aiming for next year, but I got a lot of really positive feedback from anyone who visits. They can see where I am going with the decor and I am pleased with the enthusiasm. The hit of the night for the kids was the feather duster! They LOVE it!!!!!! I am so grateful for the heads up and how-to on this frogkid. Although I forgot to turn off the Spooky Phone, and it was ringing and talking randomly through the night while I was trying to sleep. hahahaha Hilarious!

Ohhhhh and I had a professional psychic show up and give us a little reading and all the positive energy we exude is keeping negative energy at bay... so apparently I am unhaunting my 'haunted hotel'? LOLOL

Good luck on everyone's parties and POST PICTURES!!!! :D

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
I have a bunch of priming and painting to do tomorrow. Hope everything will be dried in time. I'm really cutting it close. Picked up a bunch of things from Michaels I needed for signage and such today. Decided to use outdoor paint on the wood so hopefully it will hold up for a few years.

Found our oscillating fan in storage and hope I will have the time to make the elevator and get to set up the moving hand in the doors. If I don't I'm probably going to want to do this set up again next year as well just so I can include it.

I'm hoping an idea I have to mount the chandelier in our porch area will work and support it otherwise will have to nix it. It would look cool up and I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet (a Kmart deep clearance prop from several years ago--got lousy reviews on the motor but looks cool).

Stopped in Joann's and found a foot of faux velvet at 50% off and some gold cording to use for my "theater" rope. Someone had suggested wrapping a pool noodle as the "rope filler" so that's the plan.

I have a checklist of props to use, don't want to forget to something like I have in the past, and will try to set up some of the hotel scenery tomorrow that I think can be left out overnight. So much to do, so little time.

Have all the hotel parties happened already?

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Hey Frogkid, are your out of town guests still there? Unless I missed you posting in another thread was looking forward to hearing how your party went.

·
Mummy Dearest
1,149 Posts
I too am looking forward to everyone's pictures! Ohhhhh and I had a professional psychic show up and give us a little reading and all the positive energy we exude is keeping negative energy at bay... so apparently I am unhaunting my 'haunted hotel'? LOLOL

Good luck on everyone's parties and POST PICTURES!!!! :D
So, should we except invitations early september for those flying in out from out of town next Halloween?

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Hey Frogkid, are your out of town guests still there? Unless I missed you posting in another thread was looking forward to hearing how your party went.
Hi GOS. The out of town guests have left and now trying to get things back in some type of order :) I'm currently collecting pictures from several that took them throughout the night and I'll post as soon as I "edit" -LOL

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Ok, here are some pictures taken by one of my party guests since I didn't get a chance to snap any before the party. I had so much more envisioned for my first hotel and had so many more ideas as the time drew closer, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Everyone that attended the party seemed to love it and didn't know what else I had in store, so I'm content. Hope you enjoy my version of The Grande Athena Hotel:

Halloween 2013 025.jpg

Halloween 2013 012.jpg

Autographed photos of infamous celebrity guests who previously stayed in the hotel:
Halloween 2013 013.jpg

Halloween 2013 016.jpg

"Tired of waiting to check in":
Halloween 2013 017.jpg

Halloween 2013 020.jpg

Halloween 2013 021.jpg

Halloween 2013 022.jpg

Halloween 2013 024.jpg

·
Registered
349 Posts
frogkid11...WOW! It all looks fabulous! Your directory came out great! And I am jealous of your ability to "spin" those stretchy webs! I have no skill with those whatsoever.
Your guests were so lucky to have a host that put so much effort and attention to detail into creating a realistic setting and giving them a night to remember! GREAT JOB!:)

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Frogkid I think it came out great. Hope you had a nice time with your out of town guests as well. Did they get something special in their room since they were staying at the Hotel? The vintage B&W photos were a nice touch.

I just love your front desk area and still am amazed at how you did it. Noticed the vacuum in your photo as well. People loved ours and the feather duster. I have a few photos I can post later today. Our last "guests" were around 8:30 I think and we cleaned up and packed it away at 8:45. Had it been a Friday night I think we would have had some late guest arrivals.

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Speaking of the infamous feather duster - can you believe that mine stopped working "mysteriously" right before the first guest arrived??? Luckily, my real out of town guests had seen it work on Friday night when we did a "dry run" with all of the main lights out so that the flickers of the sconces on the check in desk and in the directory sign created the ambiance. And then "mysteriously" the very next morning (the last 6 people left around 3:10 am on Sunday morning) it started working perfectly again. I just don't understand it - but I think the ghosts of the hotel had a hand in making my prop non-functional for 90% of my guests to see. LOL

Thanks for all the compliments and sharing this journey with me. It was a lot of fun and provided me the best opportunities for save the date messages, invitations, and even the post-card message the week of the party. Stay tuned for 2014 because I'm going to do my own take on Haunted Carnival with emphasis on the Sideshow of Freaks.

I do want to personally thank StacyN for creating so many of the details that made the hotel really come to life this year. She has some awesome skills on the computer!! Thanks Stacy !!!!!!!!!!

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
oooh frogkid, your check in desk looks amazing, the webbing came out great and gotta love the bellhop. Sounds frustrating about the feather duster not working the night of your party and then starting the next day, I would be like, "Really?! You're gonna work now, after all my guests left, now you decide to work! :mad:

We'll be partners in crime next year, I'm having a turn-of-the-century carnival with a freak show, gypsy witch, a traveling medicine man show and my Frankenstein corpse will be transformed into the Beast Tamer. Can't wait to brainstorm with ya. :D Here's my boards on Pinterest -
http://www.pinterest.com/tannasgach/carnevil/
http://www.pinterest.com/tannasgach/freaks-geeks-and-shrieks/

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
oooh frogkid, your check in desk looks amazing, the webbing came out great and gotta love the bellhop. Sounds frustrating about the feather duster not working the night of your party and then starting the next day, I would be like, "Really?! You're gonna work now, after all my guests left, now you decide to work! :mad:

We'll be partners in crime next year, I'm having a turn-of-the-century carnival with a freak show, gypsy witch, a traveling medicine man show and my Frankenstein corpse will be transformed into the Beast Tamer. Can't wait to brainstorm with ya. :D Here's my boards on Pinterest -
http://www.pinterest.com/tannasgach/carnevil/
http://www.pinterest.com/tannasgach/freaks-geeks-and-shrieks/
That's awesome, Tanna !!! I can't wait to share ideas back and forth. Thank for sending your pinterest pages. I don't have a pinterest account but I do look at others pins that publish them here - and I'm already starting collect a ton of pics!! Should we start a new thread devoted to our 2014 Carnival/Freak Show theme?

181 - 200 of 211 Posts