Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tons more decorations inside my house, but I wanted to post a link to my outside decorations. Tell me what you think. I'm still very new to anything other than a few store-bought decorations. Next year I plan to flesh out (har har har) my cemetery and make it my main theme!

Here it is...MySpace.com - Halloween Halloween Haunt 2008

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Hey! i've got some of those tombstones too! ;-) They make a good *cheap* start for a cemetery. I added 9 new gravestones this year [3 were replacements for defunct props], but previous years have looked much like yours. A nice functional display that has growth potential--probably the only real estate that has it right now. Once stuff goes on sale at 50% off you can add another couple stones and each year it will only get better. Nice job

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
there is even some nice looking stones for $4.77. the grave yard kit i have. real thin plastic and cheaply made. just a slight breeze makes it fall down. it was not worth no amount of money.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
CaliforniaMelanie--those are nice, but a bit spendier than you have to go. My wife picked up a couple of the small Walmart tombstones and rather than use them as is, I took my foam cutter and alterred them. I'm looking at getting more of them when things go on sale 1/2 off so I can dismantle them and use the good bits on some homemade custom creations. Some of the stones you're looking at are pretty sweet and I'm pretty fond of the Orlock stone. But for the, what? $40 or so that one of those will cost you could get materials to make a whole set of new stones. Terra has a rockin' tutorial and there are a few other good tutorials and site out there to help maximize the bang for the buck. Someone [I forget who] has a layout that gets 8 or 9 stones out of one 4x8 sheet. so you're not real handy. Big deal. All that means is that your #1 stone is a little bit wonky but by #8, you have it down pat. Probably before that. and you talk your friends/family into buyin you the commerical stuff for you b-day or something ["Honey, what I'd *really* like for Valentine's is a box of chocolates and an Orlock tombstone"]. You'll have the satisfaction of making some cool props, we'll all help out as we can [I'm building a list of cool epitaphs from colonial American, English and Irish, and New Orleans and French gravestones; Terra is always happy to answer questions and give advice], and you might be able to have the custom stuff and the commercial without going broke. Besides, the coolest of the commercial stones [Lenore and Orlock] are sold out :-(
I'll get some pics of my graveyard props up when we get a new camera--our current one crapped out-- and you can pull some ideas [or copy outright, I ok with that] from some of what i've done.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
CM...I think your place looks great! I was the same way started with a few things & kept buying & building. I'm with you too on the cemetery project for 2009 season. My cemetery almost looks generic just because we have everything half done. We built our fence last year but it needs some additional THINGS!lol

We started with wooden tombstones but now since Spookineer moved here from California, we had a little talk about teaching me how to make those styrofoam tombstones......some of them we see in haunts are really fantastic. So it takes time. I too love that pumpkin with the snakes!!

Muf

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
CM--Any of the home improvement stores ought to carry it. I live in Minnesota so I can find closed cell rigid foam extruded polystyrene insulation sheets [the pink or blue stuff] in thicknesses up to 2" but I've heard others on the forum who farther south talk about having trouble finding it thicker than 1". Check the national chains like HomeDepot or Lowes, but also check regional or local places. Some smaller places often carry stuff that might be considered specialty items at a big box. The ads in the paper today were listing the pink stuff at $9.39/4'x8'x1" sheet. the 3/4" was about a buck cheaper, the 1.5" jumps about $5/sheet and the 2" tops out at $18 for regular and $21 for high density. I don't know why we'd need high density, but apparently it exists :) Definately check out Terra's tutorial. she does some truly awesome work. In an absolutely worst case sceanrio you can laminate thinner sheets of the pink stuff to sheets of the white stuff that is compressed beads. Again, check the tutorials--I think someone poasted about doing this there as well.
got to run--I hear the wind howling out there and I need to see if my scarecrow has had the stuffing blow out of him yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts