Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your opinions, my friends. I know a post about my costume's hat doesn't belong here, but I wanted to get all of you amazing people's opinions. I have a thread going under costumes already. You can view it here: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-costume-ideas/78930-time-start-my-costume-way-picture-heavy.html

I am going to be a lion tamer for Halloween and I have the hat almost finished, but I'm having a dilemma with the feather right now.

Here is the hat without the feather:

I was unable to find a red ostrich feather so I bought a white one and dyed it red.
Before: _______________________________________ After:

As you can see, the feather was really wimpy and stringy compared to how fluffy and beautiful it was before. Pretty disappointing.

Here's a picture of it all together with the ornament on the front:

(ignore the tape, it's just for temporary holding purposes.)

So should I attach it permanently, or should I continue looking for a ostrich feather that is already red?
What do you think?

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hello, HS. :) I think the feather looks great how it is! Maybe it's not AS fluffy anymore, but it's still reasonably fluffy. hehe Looks great to me!

·
Registered
487 Posts
i like how it looks. But have you tried putting it off to the side a little bit ? or is that to peter pan? doesn't have to be fully on the side. just slightly. if you wanted the feather fuller why dont you glue another one on the back of that one to make it fuller?

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I hate to be the voice of opposition, but I don't think it works. To me, the proportions are off. The feather is too big and airy -- which makes it feel "poofy" without being substantial.

I went to your thread and saw your other pics -- very, very cool! I saw the inspiration hat and I like it a lot. The inspiration hat's feather is very full.

I think you should keep the idea of a feather on the front, but I think you should try and find a better feather. If you search online, there are many sites for "costume feathers". Yoy can get ostrich feathers in several sizes and colors.

I have no idea what else might be available in Tulsa, but you should be able to find a costume shop, or ask someone at a craft or fabric shop.

·
Registered
325 Posts
i like how it looks. But have you tried putting it off to the side a little bit ? or is that to peter pan? doesn't have to be fully on the side. just slightly. if you wanted the feather fuller why dont you glue another one on the back of that one to make it fuller?
That's what I was going to suggest.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
I think it looks FABULOUS darling!!!!!! Great job:)

·
Registered
387 Posts
I like the look you're trying to get will look really good.

But, the feather is too big and tall. It overwhelms the hat. I think shorter and fuller would be better. And with the rest of your costume design, white would still look great. I don't think you necessarily even need it to be white or red.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think you should continue looking for another feather, after you dyed that one it turned very limp and stringy, it's not as well defined as it was before. I knew of a similar situation with a feather boa that never regained it's original form. That feather is a little large in comparison to the hat, so maybe repositioning it to the side isn't such a bad idea, or maybe just going for a smaller sized feather.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so here's the total, as of my count:

8 think it is good the way it is (including one from the other thread, and of course my husband's opinion)

3 think I should keep looking (this is the way I was leaning)

and at least 2 people would like to see it on the side.

I took some photos of the hat ON so hopefully it will help you form a better opinion of how it will look as the end result.

(sorry for the crappy myspace-style photos :p)

Now that I've seen it on I'm actually happier with the feather, and now I'm torn between front and back for the feather. I like how having the feather on the side shows off the shape of the hat. Another dilemma. Sheesh! :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts