Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning as I was getting the kids off to school, I started building my mummy to hang upside down from the tree.... nothing special just a fake body wrapped in a blanket tied off and fake blood... NOTHING compared to what you guys do here....

I hung it on the tree to take pics..... I went inside to see the kids off to school and forgot ol Frank is still swinging from the flippin tree....

Construction workers next door are on cell phones and looking at my Frank...

I explain it's a Halloween prop for a food drive.... I hear one say on the phone.."Never mind." NO SHIZZZ!!!!

Its not even realistic looking!!!!!

I cant seem to get a pic uploaded from my computer...it wont do it... IDK why...

There's your laugh for the day..... I almost died:p

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
LOL! We get all SORTS of strange looks from people walking by our house in the summer when we have the garage open and we're working on our stuff. What with skeletons, pirate ship parts and various other Halloween goodies, it's definitely quite a sight from the road. However, being into our 9th year this season, most folks know who we are and what we do. But there's always the curious looky-lous... wondering what we'll be adding for this year. We try to keep the new stuff as disguised as possible, to preserve the surprise.
Congrats on an early scare! :)

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Heh heh! It kind of hits home because I had a Sherriff's deputy who was apparently cruising the neighborhood last weekend, turn around after he passed the driveway & park on the side of the street so he could see me. He sat there for about 20 minutes, then drove off in the direction he was originally going, looped back around and parked in the same spot for another 10 - 15 minutes.

To be fair, I was/am building a ground breaking toe pincher...

I have the distinct feeling I was being profiled, & I'm not cool with that at all. If it happens again, I'll be on the phone w/ 911 while I approach the car to get his car & badge number. Last time I checked, building props for an arbitrary service I do out of pocket for the local community to share in the fun, isn't a crime.

Yeah, it's somewhat amusing, but I'm also a little annoyed by it. -_-

·
Super Moderator
5,634 Posts
So this morning as I was getting the kids off to school, I started building my mummy to hang upside down from the tree.... nothing special just a fake body wrapped in a blanket tied off and fake blood... NOTHING compared to what you guys do here....

I hung it on the tree to take pics..... I went inside to see the kids off to school and forgot ol Frank is still swinging from the flippin tree....

Construction workers next door are on cell phones and looking at my Frank...

I explain it's a Halloween prop for a food drive.... I hear one say on the phone.."Never mind." NO SHIZZZ!!!!

Its not even realistic looking!!!!!

I cant seem to get a pic uploaded from my computer...it wont do it... IDK why...

There's your laugh for the day..... I almost died:p
Too bad the cops didn't come. That's ALWAYS fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Heh heh! It kind of hits home because I had a Sherriff's deputy who was apparently cruising the neighborhood last weekend, turn around after he passed the driveway & park on the side of the street so he could see me. He sat there for about 20 minutes, then drove off in the direction he was originally going, looped back around and parked in the same spot for another 10 - 15 minutes.

To be fair, I was/am building a ground breaking toe pincher...

I have the distinct feeling I was being profiled, & I'm not cool with that at all. If it happens again, I'll be on the phone w/ 911 while I approach the car to get his car & badge number. Last time I checked, building props for an arbitrary service I do out of pocket for the local community to share in the fun, isn't a crime.

Yeah, it's somewhat amusing, but I'm also a little annoyed by it. -_-
Whoa! Tromp the brakes big fella!

It may be more that he wanted to see your technique on the build rather than any kind of profiling or other law enforcement activity. I get a non stop stream of cop cars, fire vehicles, utility trucks and neighbors from September 1st on (I get the garage from the 'ol lady on 01 Sept!) especially when something cool is being installed or built. Next time he parks across the street, walk down and have a chat. I'd bet he's into Halloween decorating or wood working or something similar. Don't get pissed until ya know. Guy might want to buy a completed casket from ya.

I personally enjoy the extra patrols on my lawn haunt, keeps the prop snatchers at bay...

RandalB

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Whoa! Tromp the brakes big fella!

It may be more that he wanted to see your technique on the build rather than any kind of profiling or other law enforcement activity. I get a non stop stream of cop cars, fire vehicles, utility trucks and neighbors from September 1st on (I get the garage from the 'ol lady on 01 Sept!) especially when something cool is being installed or built. Next time he parks across the street, walk down and have a chat. I'd bet he's into Halloween decorating or wood working or something similar. Don't get pissed until ya know. Guy might want to buy a completed casket from ya.

I personally enjoy the extra patrols on my lawn haunt, keeps the prop snatchers at bay...

RandalB

Oh I'd have no problems it that was the case. However, parking 30 m. down the road in direct line of sight after driving out of sight around the bend, then pulling a quick u-turn and creeping back up isn't what I'd call that. Sneaky is more the operative term. You'd have to be much closer to admire what I was working on. Much less, driving off after 20 min. and cruising slowly back by, then pulling the same maneuver & parking in the exact same spot for another 10-15 minutes.

We may not know each other personally, but my instincts are pretty sharp. They've never lead me wrong, & I seriously doubt they are now. The hairs on the back of my neck don't prickle like that unless someones on the stalk & I'm the target. And, there are 9 other L.E. officers/deputies in this neighborhood, all of whom I know personally. After talking to a couple of them, they agreed with my assessment of the incident. Because of them btw, we have no problems w/ vandals or theft in this neighborhood, lol! :D

Given that, & the fact that there is zero crime in this quiet family type neighborhood, there's little reason for him to be acting suspect like that, or be on the prowl in the area. I don't have a record, and there are no want's or warrants. Other than the fact that I have a traditional Chinese topknot hair style, Fu Manchu, & a long ducktail goatee, that is... ;) So, as much as I'd like to be able to dismiss it nonchalantly as unimportant, it would be blatantly ignoring the facts at hand. On the other hand, I'm always glad when people stop to chat, inquire after, or admire my work (that happens pretty often, yesterday even), none of which he did. But, this isn't what that was, & I am acutely aware of the differences.

I hope that helps clarify the situation for you, I should've explained in more detail earlier to avoid a misunderstanding. Thank you for the support/advice in any case. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yea, I always avoid any hanging props for that reason. Several years ago I built a gallows with a hanging prop. Got a few racist comments so I never used it again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts