Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking about my mom and what her Halloween was like for her over the years. Thought I'd share a story...

When I grew up I had awesome Halloweens, my grandparents came and grandpop took me out ToT. Grandmom stayed home with mom to help with the candy. When I came home they always gave it to me to keep handing out. I never really did figure out why until I grew up.

I am the only person in my family who loves Halloween. The rest of them think its ok or downright hide in their houses. My mom was one of those people. She didn't hate it, she was uncomfortable.

When I was small I LOVED Halloween, mom always made me a costume, always decorated. Grandpop came down and took me and my friends out for TOT it was a blast. But like I said grandmom gave out the candy and mom hid. :( She sat in the family room and made a big fuss when I came back and had cupcakes for my friends but she never went to the door.

Flashforward, my family called me each year, my Aunts, Grandmom and others because I was the go to for Halloween advice, costume ideas ect. The whole family was like where did I come from? lol I am the Halloween Princess and I have the cool house, ect Even won first place in a decorating contest one year!

Anyway... mom moved near me a few years ago. And now that I have a house I go all out. Jack 'o Lanterns, graveyard, fog machine, lights, eerie sounds. I dress up :D

I shop for Halloween candy starting in late Sept and make treat bags with toys and candy. I spend all day Oct 31 decoroting outside. The props go out, so I go from a Halloween house with lights and some decorations to FULL ON HAUNTED HOUSE in 6 hours. It's INSANE but I love it. That's why I take vacation that time of year. lol

I love Halloween night.

So anyway... A few years ago mom told me why she had such a problem with Halloween. When she was growing up she and her friends were tormented horribly by the boys in the neighborhood and they were horrible to the girls. They would torment them at parties and while ToT'ing. It got to a point that she hated to go ToT even with her friends. :( She was scared of Halloween. She said Mischief Night was awful when she grew up, she never went out.

:(

So began OPERATION SPOOKY

Four years ago she was down visiting with dad the week of Halloween before she moved here for good. I obviously did my Halloween things and they were in complete shock at how much I do. She sat and made treat bags with me, carved the pumpkin... ok more like I carved, she watched :D and then after the house was completely haunted up the little ToT'ers started. And there went mom to the sofa, watching the window when the kids came up. Dad watched tv lol I had 'prop issues' so she had to 'help' a little. By the end of the night she was standing by the door and talking to the kids. And giving out candy.

End of the night, she had fun. :D

3 years ago, she was down here and had moved into her house, I caught her in Target looking at decorations and she put a string of ghost lights up in her tree and gave out treat bags!

2 years ago... she dressed up. Ok, ok... she wore a witches' hat but still... she made progress. And she had spooky music cd on with more orange lights in her bushes. I do Secret Reaper and she always watches me open the box and she can't believe what we all do and send to each other.

Last year, dad retired. As I decorated outside, running around like crazy there she was in the front yard with dad putting up scarecrows, putting up lights and ghosts, hanging things, the whole of her yard was decorated. She made treat bags by herself, dad had a costume, she wore one, lights were in trees and she bought her first prop :D

This year I was asked 'when do we start shopping for candy for treat bags?' She also wants me to get her a flaming cauldron lol

OPERATION SPOOKY has been a success. Mom officially loves Halloween, I love my mom I am so happy she's not scared anymore. :D

Now just need to work on my sister.. LOL

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
sookie - that story is phenominal. Your mom is such a trooper for surpressing her fears when you were little and not trying to influence you from your love of Halloween. It's great that you were able to help her at this point in her life and that she is on the road to loving Halloween. Congratulations on your success and many more years of shared family experiences and memories together.

·
Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
What a great story!!!! Even made me tear up a little :eek: I've been working on my mom for a few years now. She wasn't ever uncomfortable about Halloween and she always decorated for my brother and I when we were kids. She just seems to lack the love for that particular holiday now. It could be because my bro and I are now adults so, she might not think it's as fun anymore. She'll be helping me with the cards I'm making again this year.. so, I figure little by little she'll start to enjoy it again. I can't get her to pass out candy but, seeing her grinning at me from her spot at the dining room table everytime the doorbell rings is good enough... for now :D

Reactions: sookie

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
It is wonderful that you got your mother to come around, sookie; too many people are afraid of change and/or set in their ways to make an attempt to do so, regardless of age.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Love the story sookie, Thanks for sharing! :D That's the true meaning of Halloween to me, being with family, friends & sharing our enjoyment of and creativity in the holiday & even including total strangers, too! I know several of my neighbors after 17 years in my house, but the TOTs are always new to me & watching the enjoyment on their faces, especially the little tiny 2-3 year olds is priceless!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
That is AWESOME :D. I'm so glad your mom gets to enjoy Halloween now.

I guess I'm lucky in that my parents are the ones who got me started on Halloween. When I was 6, my mother dressed up as a witch, and we had a REAL giant cast-iron cauldron (borrowed from a neighbor) with dry ice in it. My father rigged up speakers around the yard, complete with a switchboard to control each speaker, a microphone, and a phonograph playing a 78 rpm record of organ music at 33 rpm. I was instantly hooked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts