Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this, I made this last Halloween (2014), I planed for it to be a ground breaker that rattled it's door, I couldnt really get the door to knock around like I had planned so for the most part it became a static prop with a motion activated strobe on it and some fog.
I made it out of pink foam and painted it in a faux wood finish.
Wood Pink Grass Plywood Hardwood

Table Grass Linens Furniture Wood

Pink Purple Architecture Violet Wall

Pink Grass Wood Tree Table

Product Wood Furniture

Wood Hardwood Pulpit Furniture Wood stain

Property Yard Brick Wall Lawn

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thatnks everyone!

I make the wood grain look with wire brushes dragged along the "grain" of the foam and I use some curved semi-circular motions to get the variations and almost knot hole look. I also use an Xacto to carve the board separations and worn edges and I use a rough sanding block to polish it up a bit. Then I use the heat gun method to get deep grain, heavy in some areas, less in others.

For paint I start with a dark brown to get in the grooves and then follow it up with several lighter brown and beige and white washes depending on how old I want it to look, the finish it off with a black wash with a spray bottle.

I made the base from from foam as well and used tent stakes to anchor it down.

I used a small electric motor and a cam on a motion sensor to bang the lid and it worked really good indoors but didnt work when introduced to any slight wind, so I will have to revisit it next year and see if I can find a better way to do it. I dont think a wiper motor will spin fast enough to get the violent banging I'm looking for

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.