Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our members recently was asking for help building a guillotine. I finally found my old photos of the one I built back in 2002. I thought I would share some of the build photos and the any insight I gained during the process. I have no exact dimensions for this project. But the photos should explain it pretty well. This first pic is of the completed guillotine. It stands about 9' tall. The bench behind it where you put the "victim" is about 6' long and about 2 foot wide.

I used alot of 2X4s in the construction of the guillotine. The up right slides for the blade are 2X4s with a 1X2 furring strip between them to create a track for the blade to slide up and down.

You can see inside the track for the blade in this photo. You can also see the head stock in this photo pretty well. I took two 2X8s and cut a half circle out the middle of each of them with a jig saw. I fastened an old hinge on one end of the boards.

This photo shows a little more detail of the stock. I nailed the bottom part of the stock to the blade slides. I fastened one end of the rusty chain to the bottom stock and used a large spike on the top stock to hook the chain onto. The vertical pieces of wood on the stock are just fastened to top half of the stock. They rotate up when the top stock is unlatched and rotated at the hinge.

This photo shows how the slides are tied together with a 2X4 on edge and the angled bracing. You can also see some of the detail on the bench. The frame of the bench is made of 2X4s and the top is covered with short 1X8s.

Here's another view of some of the framing.

The blade is a piece of 3/8" plywood painted with some silver paint. There is a 1X4 one each side of the blade that is about 1/2" shorter than the distance between the slides so the blade doesn't get hung up. I drilled a hole though the top of the blade and the horizontal 2X4 that runs across the top of the slides.

I used some sisal rope and a pulley fastened to an eyebolt to support the blade. The eyebolt passes through the hole in the center of the horizontal 2X4 in the previous picture.

Well, I hope this all made sense. Enjoy!!!

·
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think about 2'. It was sadly lost in a move. But the pics survive!!!!! I will build another one and this time get some more detailed measurements. :D. I just sorta threw it together one afternoon at my parents' house. No real plans to work from. Just a vision towards the ultimate goal. :)

·
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I forgot to mention in the tutorial that I bolted the upright to to the bench so that I could separate them and store the upright laying down on its side. Makes storage a bit easier :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Terror Tom
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing