Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! So thought I'd share my lastest project. I made a pair of gravediggers, one for my yard and one for my friend. The bodies are PVC and wood, bubble wrap and such, and the heads are cast in latex from a mold I did of a sculpt I made. It's my very first attempt at sculpting, and I'm pretty happy with how they've come out. They're not perfect by any means, but I like 'em. :) Oh, and they will have realistic eyes put in as soon as I get the ones I ordered online, and I still need to age the shovel.

·
Reaper Queen
8,628 Posts
VERY cool, Mariah, great first time skulpting! I like the gloves idea, I have made hands for my gravedigger but haven't been totally happy with them, what is inside them to hold the shape? and how do you have them attached to the woodbase, , assuming their legs are pvc too?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bethene and Ms Meeple. Yep, first time sculpting. I was so inspired and excited by PlayFX "old coot" sculpting tutorial, I just had to give it a go!

His hands are the hot glue hands with wire in them, ala the "How to Haunt Your House" book.

The legs are actually 2X4's, and his feet are 1x3's. I just slipped a cut to size piece of 1X3 into his shoes, then put big ol' screws through the foot into the wood base. It's a pretty sturdy set up, I think.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya know, I don't.:eek: I have this bad habit...once I get started on a project, I just steamroll ahead, and neglect everything til it's done! And that often includes picture taking. I need to practice slowing down...but I seem to work best when at a frantic pace! hehe

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Hey, those brothers look like some neighbors down the street! Great job, especially on a first out effort. I'll look forward to seeing them completed. Any estimate on how much time you've put into the sculpting and assembling parts?

·
Ghouls Rule
2,589 Posts
Whoa, you did a wonderful job on their sculpts, they look awesome! Twins that look nice and solid. Im always so anal about the feet positions and "weighting" on my props, or animations I do in 3D, and you got it girl! Great job!

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
They look great! Now I think I need a grave digger...... Don't think it'll make this years Halloween though..... :(

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everybody! :)

Ghost of Spookie- I'd say I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of...hmmm...say maybe 30 hours or so including build time and hunting down materials etc etc.

Kittyvibe- Thank you! Yeah, I think a bad or unbalanced figure always screams "FAKE!" hehe So I tried to make a natural-ish pose for an old guy.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Those are really great! And echoing what others have said, they do remind me of someone I've seen around. So realistic. I gotta learn how to do that!

·
Registered
60 Posts
WOW, great job Morbid, you have a knack for sculpting and im glad you didn't give up on it, your hard work really paid off and it shows!

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Ya know, I don't.:eek: I have this bad habit...once I get started on a project, I just steamroll ahead, and neglect everything til it's done! And that often includes picture taking. I need to practice slowing down...but I seem to work best when at a frantic pace! hehe
Those are amazing!!!!!!!!!!

I really wish you had some "in progress" pics to show as well. Any chance you could "undress" one of them -- just so we could see the structure construction? I'd love to see how you used the 2x4s, where you joined sections, and how you used the bubble wrap. I need to rebuilt all three of my witches this year and I love your structure approach.

Please, if you can, shed some light on the process . . .

Please? :(

Do we need to send you candy? ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts