Halloween Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK after last year’s successful garage haunt for a large 10-12 yr old party I’m looking at going bigger and better this year, I started on the preplanning last year but am now going to get started as I have a lot to do. I purchased a lot of stuff after Halloween last year but have a lot to build myself. Here’s my idea and would appreciate critique or ideas from you guys. Last year I went with the black plastic walls which worked fair but this year I will have a combination of wood, plastic and heavy cardboard walls, since the plastic didn’t hold up so well particularly when kids tried making doorways where there wasn’t any haha. So here’s my plan below, keep in mind the drawing should be pretty much to scale with each block equaling 6 inches, I have a garage of 24’ wide by 21’ deep to work with, also I will try and incorporate something on the outside before they enter but not sure what or how I will do so, that’s next on my agenda. Once entering the garage I thought about an actor behind a scrim wall right off the bat then they proceed down a 3’ wide by 8’ hall then you will have to crawl into a 3’ wide by 3’ high by 8’ long wooden tunnel with holes in the left side with maybe fog and a strobe behind it, once inside the actor from scene 1 (scrim wall) will beat on the top of the tunnel with chains. After exiting this and standing up there will then be activated a drop down corpse reaching down from the ceiling then the guests go left across a wobbly floor. Then in front of you an actor is still in a chair which will cause a scare when they approach closer. Once past this they turn and go through another short hall into room 2 where there will be a “Frankencuted” prop and I am building a kicking hangman which will activate as they go by it then into a dark hall 30” wide which will be pretty dark with only dim spotlights on 3 pictures on the wall to the right the last picture will be a drop panel with an actor behind it, and hopefully I have everything set up so the same actor can do everything as you can see by the drawing. Then on to room 3 where it will be either blacklight lit or strobe, I haven’t decided yet. There will be white sheets hanging down they will have to go through then past that there will be hanging bodies in body bags they will have to pass and at the end I have an animated Gemmy Jason before the exit. There will be more static props and the lighting and sound will be good throughout but this is the major idea and would appreciate any suggestions from you guys that have more experience than I at this, as like I already mentioned I have been studying this and other forums for well over a year now and have learned a lot and after last year’s haunt went over so well, the kids from the party have talked about last year’s party all year but are expecting bigger and better this year and I don’t want to disappoint.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I got everything done in time and I think it looked great, didn't get pics until Saturday and they don't do it justice in the light, everything is lit with multiple mini LED spotlights except for of course a couple areas with strobes and blacklights in the clown/dot room. Pretty much went by plans too. We had a few go through on Halloween and we got some good scares, but unfortunately we're having Halloween in November since the big party we were hosting and built this for was rained out and we're doing it Friday night. So here they are, feel free to critique as necessary.

Entrance to the haunt, you have to crawl through the tunnel which is pitch black with webs inside.

[/IMG]

After exiting tunnel, this is the first prop:

Then in the same room, to your left you pass this, which has a strobe light and actor inside.

Then onto this room, which is lit all by strobes with red LED spots on the parts. no actors here but an air cannon is.

Then onto this room which is lit by a single flickering red bulb, the props on the right capture attention while the actor that can't be seen in the dark corner on the left gets the scare.

This is entering the long hallway which was full of webs has a wobbly floor and is lit by soft white LED spots, it looks very good. The picture at the end of the hallway had a white spotlight on it, holding the attention while the drop panel at the end on the right got the scare.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then onto the final room with actors, the clown/dot room. The actor behind the drop panel got a scare here too when they came in, it was lit with blacklights only. Then behind the sheet, there was a final actor with the circular saw waiting by the bodybag, to push them out the last exit hallway which had a green laser vortex tunnel shining at them from overhead, it too looked very good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments, it is nothing compared to what some folks home haunts are, but it works for me, as for the size I have a 21x24 garage, and the "wallpaper" is 2 different types of "scenesetters" and it looks really good in the right lighting, I wish the whole thing was done in this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a night vision camera up all night but the video didn't come out well due to all the fog. All in all the haunt went very well on Friday night, had a bunch of screaming kids that were really scared, but again I know what to do different this time, I still had some plastic walls and 1 group tried to run through one and make a door where there wasn't one. Also one room that was only lit by a strobe that went out had me having to try and fix it between groups which I wasn't able to so I had to compromise with a spot light which messed up that area, so note to self for next year, have extra lights ready if one breaks.

So since I have done this for 2 years and they have both been a success and were completely different themes and directions, I want to do something completely different next year and need some ideas, I thought about something like a completely dark maze with hidden doors with actors behind them scaring in different areas. Thought/ideas?

·
Appalachian Hex Doctor
575 Posts
I think your entrance is great! I've always thought a good entrance will set up the whole thing nicely and you did a great job. And as far as actors and scaring people, one of the best commercial haunts I've been too involved one guy behind moving through hidden spaces and scaring you. The guy would pop out of hidden walls and drop panels. When I get enough props to set up as distractions, I'm going to try something like that.

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
Nice looking Haunt. I will have to come back to this for 2010. And Ill try to remember to have extra lights. Nice job.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I too like the wall scene setter. Those two work perfectly together. I'll have to remember that. Looks great. I've said before- I wish scene setters had a haunted house facade package too. In fact, just shacker shingles or slat boads would be awesome- roof shingles too. Then you could apply add ons that they already have, like doors and boarded up windows. But they could really use a facade print too.

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts