Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Very nicely done! Makes for a great scene!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the compliments. This was by far the most difficult project I have done so far. I think I have about 18 foam pieces that go up like a puzzle. Yes, I can reuse them every year. I have them stored up in my garage using a 4 x 8 metal rack. I basically made them like I made the tombstones except I used white foam vs. pink. The white foam is not as strong but you can use a heat gun on it and it really looks like brick. I forgot to take pictures of it at night. It looks very cool with the cheese cloth curtains and the black lights illuminating them.

The door was made from 1 inch thick pink foam. I cut it to fit the size of my glass storm door. Then cut out the hole so the handle would fit through. I cut all the square openings with a jig saw. I went to Hobby Lobby and bought some 3/16 inch thick foam board. Foam Board - Painting Canvas & Art Surfaces - Art Supplies | Hobby Lobby. I cut 1 1/2 inch strips to run horizontally across the door between the square openings and attached them with foam board adhesive. I used the same board to make the "rectangle" where the handle and keyhole are.
I used 1/2 inch thumb tacks Extra Large Thumb Tacks | Hobby Lobby | 734475. to go around the rectangle. I used 1 inch upholstery tacks in all the intersections between the square openings. https://www.amazon.com/Keadic-Uphol...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==. I then used this primer on the door. Montana PRIMER 400ml - Polystyrene. It worked pretty well but has a gritty texture when applied. Then I used this technique to paint the door to make it look like rusted metal.

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
All very nicely done and great detail. I will say I was shocked to read that that was a facade over your glass storm door. Exceptional, really. Had to go back and zoom in to examine. Do I understand that’s HL’s big sized poster foam board then for the outer door skin? Just bought some this year to mount to an oversized sci-fi movie poster for one of my halloween themes. Very nice sizes to choose from that otherwise seem hard to find around here.

I want to make a facade for our kitchen nook’s double french doors that will be a dinosaur containment crate (T-Rex dino projection playing on the inside on the screen material on the door’s interior windows) and will look into using this as the facade material. Thanks for the idea. Did you just find it easier to paint and finish than working with the 1” foam alone? How did you prep the HL foam board to accept any paint?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank you for the nice words.
The door itself is 1 inch pink foam from Home Depot. I cut all the square openings first and then put the poster board 3/16 inch thick only on the top and bottom and between the square openings all running horizontally, as well as the piece around the door handle and keyhole. The top and bottom of the door are 4" by 30" strips, and between the square openings are 1 1/2" by 30" strips. If you look closely you can see that the upholstery tacks are in the intersections where the poster board runs horizontally across the door. I made it that way to mimic iron metal going across and connecting with the tacks. There is a link above in my description on how I made the door using "Montana Gold" primer that is made for Polystyrene foam. Once applied you can apply any type of spray paint.
This was sort of my inspiration for the door.
Brown Window Wood Fixture Brickwork

1 - 12 of 12 Posts