Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my first attempt at this. I really like how they turned out. I still need to paint a few spots but they did the job this year. The motor in one of the columns is for a skeleton i plan on putting on top next year. I want to motion activate it with a PIR sensor and a led lantern. Just planning ahead. Maybe even a talking skeleton.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basic back and fourth. Its a rotisserie motor, so if i put a stop on either side of it it will reverse direction. Its a very slow motor so i can get the desired effect.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Awesome idea, I've never done any of these. This was my first year found full scale decorations. If you don't mind what size wood is this and what are the dimensions. I hope you don't mind if I steal the idea. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its really not that hard. Its just 2"x2" with 2"x4" top and bottoms. I picked a height of 78" so they would be taller than the average person. I think they are 22" wide. Then I used liquid nails and stuck them to the wood. Just measure from the between the 2"x4"s and that will give you the height you need to cut the foam. When you cut the first two sections and glue them on you will need to measure the outside width again. It should be 3" wider than the other sides. This is because the foam is 1 1/2" thick and adds to the overall width. so the other two sides will be 25" wide. Glue em on and draw your pattern. Dont worry about messing up cause you can make changes when you dremil out the foam. Then Paint. Good luck. They looked great and i even heard a few kids say they werent coming up to the house because it looked to scary.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Where do people find motors? I'm a rookie at prop building, you'll have to forgive me. I see you have a rotisserie motor, I just don't know where to find one.
You can also use wiper motor how ever if it's a front motor you will more than likely have to use linkage to get the back and forth action, unless you use a rear wiper motor most of those are auto reversing then connect an inline PWM (pulse with modulator) which will act as a speed control. This is not a column but the skellie movement is the same.

kcdemo love the columns so far, I'm planning a set myself for next year

1 - 11 of 11 Posts