Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Ghost Host
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have never lived in an area that gets ToT's and where I'm currently living is no different. I just moved here 7 months ago and it's all flat, corporate boxes surrounded by a major airport and a bunch of apartments. Anyway, I decided to throw on some makeup and a pulled out something from my closet to wear. Didn't plan on doing anything but carving my pumpkin, eating, and watching scary movies. Anyway, I hung out on my balcony for a bit and noticed a car pull up and park. A mother and daughter got out and the daughter, who was dressed in costume, looked up and said "HALLOWEEN!" so I yelled "Happy Halloween!" Her mother and I started talking and come to find out she couldn't find anywhere that was giving out candy and they were coming in for the night(they live in the same building). So I told them to wait a second, ran inside and grabbed a bag I had bought for myself, and went downstairs to meet them. I told the little girl to get as much and whatever she wanted but she was so sweet and picked out one single lollipop. She was so happy and jumped up and down and said "Happy Halloween!" and her mother thanked me before we parted ways.

I was SO UPSET...I made it back to my apartment and ugly cried for a good 5 minutes. She was my very first trick or treater as an adult and I was REALLY overwhelmed with emotion because she didn't have any candy on Halloween. I will never forget my very first trick or treater.

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,306 Posts
one of my favorite things about halloween is that it's a holiday built around scary things, but it so often shines a light on the good in the world. wonderful story, sir.

·
Registered
79 Posts
So I have never lived in an area that gets ToT's and where I'm currently living is no different. I just moved here 7 months ago and it's all flat, corporate boxes surrounded by a major airport and a bunch of apartments. Anyway, I decided to throw on some makeup and a pulled out something from my closet to wear. Didn't plan on doing anything but carving my pumpkin, eating, and watching scary movies. Anyway, I hung out on my balcony for a bit and noticed a car pull up and park. A mother and daughter got out and the daughter, who was dressed in costume, looked up and said "HALLOWEEN!" so I yelled "Happy Halloween!" Her mother and I started talking and come to find out she couldn't find anywhere that was giving out candy and they were coming in for the night(they live in the same building). So I told them to wait a second, ran inside and grabbed a bag I had bought for myself, and went downstairs to meet them. I told the little girl to get as much and whatever she wanted but she was so sweet and picked out one single lollipop. She was so happy and jumped up and down and said "Happy Halloween!" and her mother thanked me before we parted ways.

I was SO UPSET...I made it back to my apartment and ugly cried for a good 5 minutes. She was my very first trick or treater as an adult and I was REALLY overwhelmed with emotion because she didn't have any candy on Halloween. I will never forget my very first trick or treater.
Dang, man...stop it! You're gonna make a grown man cry.

Well, thanks for the motivation. You've pushed me to decide that regardless of how this year turned out for me (super rain shower so no ToTers) and regardless of the lectures and protests from my Christian friends, I'm doing Halloween again next year!

I grew up with it. My birthday is in October and my mother used to throw costume parties for my birthday every year when I was little. So Halloween has had a special place for me since childhood.

Remember the Alamo!...uh, I mean...here's to Halloween!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,306 Posts
regardless of the lectures and protests from my Christian friends, I'm doing Halloween again next year!
i think i've told this story here before (prior to your joining) but my fond memories of halloween come primarily from my very baptist mom and dad taking me trick or treating as a child, and my baptist minister dad taking me and my friends TP'ing our friends' houses as a teenager.

bottom line: halloween, like most anything, can skew toward good or bad depending on what aspects people choose to emphasize. and some christians, like most anyone, just have to find something to be offended about. live a quality life and if "christian friends" want to condemn you for celebrating halloween, find some new christian friends who won't judge you. there are plenty of us out there. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
i think i've told this story here before (prior to your joining) but my fond memories of halloween come primarily from my very baptist mom and dad taking me trick or treating as a child, and my baptist minister dad taking me and my friends TP'ing our friends' houses as a teenager.

bottom line: halloween, like most anything, can skew toward good or bad depending on what aspects people choose to emphasize. and some christians, like most anyone, just have to find something to be offended about. live a quality life and if "christian friends" want to condemn you for celebrating halloween, find some new christian friends who won't judge you. there are plenty of us out there. :)
AMEN!
...just had to throw that out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
Thats great! It is awesome to make some kids night. Thats what Halloween is all about. Maybe next year if you stay outside
you will get some more Tot's

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I build stuff for months, it takes me weeks to set all of these things up and then it's over so fast. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it is appreciated and I throw myself a pity party. Then I read this and it puts it all in perspective. You made that girl's Halloween and hopefully she will take that with her for the rest of her life and make Halloween AMAZING for other people.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Okay, this made me tear up.

What a very sad, but very touching story. Makes me both want to come and ring your doorbell and say Trick or Treat, and then turn around and turn on a porch light for that little girl so she would have another place to TOT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts