Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Finally getting around to making May first tombstones. Wow does the detailed routing takes a toll on the back and eyes!

Appreciate any feedback before I start on the drylok and painting phase.
I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now all you need are the stubby little T-Rex arms sticking out the front...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was literally thinking tonight that i'm going to try making Tombstones myself in the near future. If they come out half as well as those, i'll be very happy. And that's before the painting and finishing, which i imagine is the hardest part!! Can't wait to see the end result. Maybe a little how to aswell?? ;)

·
black light queen
2,541 Posts
i don't know if it's possible to use too much acetone ... well i suppose that too much would dissolve everything

i'm curious how the acetone melted areas would look if they were roughed up with a wire brush? just an idea i had & it may not yield a good effect, but i'd be interesting to try on a scrap chunk of foam. i'm thinking that the wire brush might reduce the "roundness" of the acetone melted parts & it'd look more random maybe? naturally varying the pressure of the wire brush would yield different results. i'm thinking that a normal wire brush that cleans files would probably be too wide & a thinner brush, say 1/4" might be more suitable? i'm thinking that a rotary dremel type wire brush might be too uncontrollable, but i'm just guessing about that & that might the way to go?

amk

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
581 Posts
Those look great., how do you plan to seal and paint them?

I have found that I get so into the detail, and 99.9% of people take a quick glance and keep moving. I have to stop myself realizing NOBODY is every going to scrutinize them the way I do. Not to mention you are looking at them from 6"-3' away, most people will see them from 10' away or more. It is good to take a few steps back, in the correct light, and decide what is really going to be seen. Forcing yourself to stop at 'good enough' is the bigger challenge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally getting around to making May first tombstones. Wow does the detailed routing takes a toll on the back and eyes!

Appreciate any feedback before I start on the drylok and painting phase.
I

If you didn't use the wood filler to fill in the gaps then I wouldn't use the drylok. We do not use the acetone method, we actually use water in a spray bottle and a handheld blow torch. The blow torch also helps to open up the engraving and any of the distressing that you have done.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I agree don't use Drylok. I don't know why everyone started using it; it's just a masonry waterproofer with very limited colors. You can achieve the same water resistant coating by using exterior latex paint, at a much cheaper cost, its easier to dilute and mix with other materials, and you can get any color you want. If you mix it with drywall spackle (monster mud) you can achieve some really great textures. I know a lot of people that used Drylok to make tombstones who are now having issues with cracking and peeling as it didn't bond with the foam.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree don't use Drylok. I don't know why everyone started using it; it's just a masonry waterproofer with very limited colors. You can achieve the same water resistant coating by using exterior latex paint, at a much cheaper cost, its easier to dilute and mix with other materials, and you can get any color you want. If you mix it with drywall spackle (monster mud) you can achieve some really great textures. I know a lot of people that used Drylok to make tombstones who are now having issues with cracking and peeling as it didn't bond with the foam.
I am returning my Drylok then since I did not even use it. Any cheap exterior latex is fine?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i don't know if it's possible to use too much acetone ... well i suppose that too much would dissolve everything

i'm curious how the acetone melted areas would look if they were roughed up with a wire brush? just an idea i had & it may not yield a good effect, but i'd be interesting to try on a scrap chunk of foam. i'm thinking that the wire brush might reduce the "roundness" of the acetone melted parts & it'd look more random maybe? naturally varying the pressure of the wire brush would yield different results. i'm thinking that a normal wire brush that cleans files would probably be too wide & a thinner brush, say 1/4" might be more suitable? i'm thinking that a rotary dremel type wire brush might be too uncontrollable, but i'm just guessing about that & that might the way to go?

amk
I used steel wire brush attachment on drill and really like the results in general. I can now create different depths of decay. It’s great for fine surface decay and did the trick in blending out the acetone holes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Decided to experiment. On left is two coats of drylok. On right is 2 parts monster mud, 1 part black latex and 1 part white latex. Both look great. Drylok a little bit more grainy but not by much. Also dried quicker so I had to be more expedient in spreading out the paint in the fine lettering. I guess I’ll have to report back in 6 months to see how each holds up in durability. Nice to have the different color variations.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts