Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been creeping around these forums as a guest for several years now without actually becoming a member until recently. Living in an apartment I did not have the space to make or display props the way that I wanted to. So fast forward, I finally have a great home with lots of space to work and display and as a bonus there are hundreds of ToT in the neighborhood.:D
This is my first attempt at a prop build. I do have some woodworking and electric experience along with most basic tools I would need. However it sure would be nice to have a miter saw a drill press and a compressor, but I digress. One thing at a time.

So I decided to start with a toe pincher coffin because it seemed simple enough and It has such a great look to it. I also had plenty of wood laying around from other house projects. I started with some 1/2" plywood and some slats from and old privacy fence I tore down. I built the base with plywood and planned on building the rest out of the old slat wood, however I really could not get my lid to fit together just right, it did not feel sturdy enough. So I ended up just making it out of plywood and then just attaching the old wood to that. It made the lid fairly heavy, but I think it will be ok.
I'm not quite sure how I'm going to finish this project off just yet. I love the leering skeletons I see around the forums, or maybe some version of a monster in the box or popping skeleton. I'm still looking for inspiration on that. So many great and creative ideas here its hard to decide what to do. For now I think I'm just going to do a little staining and sanding to get the look just right. I think this will end up being my main project for this year, but time will tell. I really want to build a nice LED light set up as well so I guess that's my "other" main project for the year..;)

If you made it this far thanks for reading this. I'm putting up a few pictures of what I've done so far. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Happy to answer any questions as well.
Thanks for all your inspiration. I hope this is the first of many builds for me and I hope to share them with everyone here.
SAM_1741.jpg

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Nice job...I like how you built the cross into the lid.

As for ideas..I have a toe pincher that I leave standing up with the lid open and a skeleton ghoul in it...unless you get real close and find out that the skeleton is actually a scissor prop.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I need to make one of those one day but woodworking skills are not my strong suit.
Can you use a tape measure?

Can you use a drill/screwdriver?

Can you use a jigsaw or a chop saw?

Can you google "toe pincher measurements"?

If so, you can build one. It's not like you are putting up crown molding and have to be precise with all your cuts and seamless with all your joints. You just need to cut some wood and screw it together.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Excellent "toe pincher" Looks great. If you're looking at creative ways to finish your coffins. I always hit mine with a propane torch. Brings out the grain and adds patina. As well. You said that the lid is built quite heavy. This is a good thing if you ever decide to install pneumatic's to open or shake the lid.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Cool coffin! I think the color looks great to start with, but understand wanting to distress it even more. I made a toe pincher a couple years ago from pallet wood and installed pneumatics to bang the lid with sound and lights. The only thing I would change on mine is to have left bigger gaps between the boards so that when the red light turns on inside it would seep out more, especially along the sides. I still might try to add more holes to it. Just a thought for you, depending on how you plan to incorporate it into your haunt.

DSC02238.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice job...I like how you built the cross into the lid.

As for ideas..I have a toe pincher that I leave standing up with the lid open and a skeleton ghoul in it...unless you get real close and find out that the skeleton is actually a scissor prop.
Believe it or not, the faded cross was actually on the wood before I started. I don't think it was a cross on the old wooden fence I just so happened thats how I put it together.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cool coffin! I think the color looks great to start with, but understand wanting to distress it even more. I made a toe pincher a couple years ago from pallet wood and installed pneumatics to bang the lid with sound and lights. The only thing I would change on mine is to have left bigger gaps between the boards so that when the red light turns on inside it would seep out more, especially along the sides. I still might try to add more holes to it. Just a thought for you, depending on how you plan to incorporate it into your haunt.

View attachment 275123
Thanks for the tip of leaving the gaps. Mine has lots of gaps because the wood was in really rough shape and I was thinking about sealing them up. Now I think I may wait on that till I at least put some light in it and see how it looks.
Great tip, thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts