Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I made these for Halloween Last year, these are the first props I have made i think they came out pretty good but will need a few tweaks for next year. I plan on adding a ground breaker and a static Jason from Pt. 3. Would love to learn a little more about making them move. Does anyone have any suggestions or posts that they used for an intro to animated props...

All the bodies were made from PVC pipe Chicken Wire, and Pool Noodles.

Also, any advice on making better hands? I used wire and a bunch of Poly fill then shrunk it down with a heat gun IMG_0994.jpg
IMG_0992.jpg
IMG_0998.jpg

Typical Ghoul Next Door
I like all of them - they're WAY better than my first yard props! :D

If you don't like making hands, you could always check out the dollar trees (maybe other dollar stores, but definitely see them every year so far at the Tree) for plastic hands. You'd need to figure out how to cut off the thumb/fingers and reposition them for the opposite hand (I think for some reason they're all left hands? Or all rights?) but you likely could get a decent set out of them for just a little work.

Or what I do: I get old gardening gloves, stuff them with filler and use either coat hangers to bend them around and secure them into "holding" things, or I stuff them and sew them onto or around the items. Depends on what I am wanting them to hold.

But honestly, all of your guys look really good!

I hope some of the mechanically inclined folks will point you in the direction of animation/motor 101 posts, but you definitely can browse through the props section and search function and likely find a ton of good posts with instructions (check out "wiper motor" for a keyword search as that is one of the best motors for animating props like these depending on what sort of movement you're going for.

And lastly, welcome to the forum! :)

Registered
I particularly like the first one.
My suggestion. Go to Youtube and type in "animated prop" and you should be able to waste a few hours getting educated,
And,as usual,I will recommend Spider Hill joint kits for building your armatures.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Dollar Tree is my go to on Halloween, great selection of stuff. that's a good idea with the hands and switching around the fingers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts