Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I wanna show off my first stone. Made a ton of rookie mistakes (carved the "body" too thin to engrave an epitaph, so I have no idea what I'm gonna do - not wanting to just paint it on!!), but it was super fun!

I followed Terra's (sorry for the misspell in the title!) painting technique and, I have to say, the dry brushing white really really really had a huge impact! I was going to skip that (thought process: "I just worked really hard to get this dark, aged look... why would I paint white over it?!?!?!?!" - advice: JUST DO IT!).

Anyway, enough yappin'. Here it is...

I'd love some suggestions on the epitaph if you have any. I thought to do the foam letters from Wally world, but they're not a good font... I know some of you will have something amazing to contribute that I haven't thought of!

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think it looks great. Have you thought about taking another piece of foam and grafting it in the center like a bronze plaque - or even a fancy shaped piece of stone?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Looks great! Rumsfield had the same idea I did, just add a faux stone "plaque" with the engraving on it

·
Registered
436 Posts
You could still carve the epitaph into your tombstone. Just carve it all the way through the existing foam. Then use a separate piece of foam (painted black for the letters) and attach it to the backside of your tombstone. Basically add a piece of foam on the back side .

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could still carve the epitaph into your tombstone. Just carve it all the way through the existing foam. Then use a separate piece of foam (painted black for the letters) and attach it to the backside of your tombstone. Basically add a piece of foam on the back side .
This is so smart, and so... obvious? Lol. I feel stupid for not thinking of it! Thank you!

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it looks great. Have you thought about taking another piece of foam and grafting it in the center like a bronze plaque - or even a fancy shaped piece of stone?
I love this idea, but I think the back is just carved too thin. I don't think it could support much (if any) weight. Will let you know if I can think of a way to make it work!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Fantastic looking stone, I'm very jealous! :p:D

I love this idea, but I think the back is just carved too thin. I don't think it could support much (if any) weight. Will let you know if I can think of a way to make it work!
How thin are we talking? I would thnk that if you used a separate piece of foam and carved an epitaph into it, your main stone would suppot it. Just use some good glue to hold it on.

And here's an idea for an epitaph that I intend to use myself one day: "Died mysteriously while reading tombstones" . I saw that somewhere and never forgot it, I'm sorry I can't remember where, I'd like to give them credit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
first stone?!?!?

THATs your first stone?
Amazing! My 15th stone is not even close to that. Well done.

Curious how you decided to make the depth? Carved the pieces then glued on? Carved out the middle useless part?

I have tried both and can't seem to get the quality this forum unofficialy demands ;)

Btw, I like the suggestion of engraving right thru and put something behind it. You could even, instead of more foam, plexiglass or tint paper and shine a light from behind, lighting up the epitaph.

(I am trying to do this style on my Blackberry themed BooBerry)

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Awesome job on your 1st stone! The design is marvelous! :D

Do you have a hot wire foam cutter? If so, you can get very good detail by making your own 3d lettering, and as a bonus, in whatever font style you like best. If you don't have one, I highly suggest building your own hot wire scroll table. I made mine for about $50 for a table with a 13" throat height & 10" throat depth, a perfect working surface for nearly any foam project you can think of.

The power supply & table plans can be found here: http://www.garageofevilnetwork.com/profiles/blogs/goe-labs-howtohotwire-foam

I rolled my own where the table design is concerned...

An example of how fine a detail you can get with said table...

[005413].jpg

Hope that helps you in your epitaph quest. ;)

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone :eek: It's my first stone, but I have experience with fine furniture building, so it wasn't a *huge* leap. Just had to make sure my router was set super low... I think that has to do with how thin I carved out the middle. It's about 3/16ths (which, in wood, would still allow for a shallow cut, but I don't know that I can control as accurately in foam).

Chop, It might support it.... but it just feels so flimsy that I'd be very worried (maybe I can glue a sheet of foamboard to the back to give some integrity?). I love that epitaph (but I just pinned one that I'm dying to use somewhere: "He never killed a man that didn't need killing"... Is that a new form of hero or what?!).

FatRanza - the only way to know is to DO IT!

CBHaunt - Awww shucks :) I carved out the deeper parts (nothing's glued on but the top and base). I started with the deepest parts and moved out (didn't go according to plan, thought.. the arches with the flowers were supposed to be carved, too, but there wasn't enough room to go down any further from the last "step" - does that make sense?). What a great idea to back-light it! I hope you share pictures of yours when you're finished!!

Raven's Hollow - Thank you so much! Your work is so inspiring. I do not have a hot wire foam cutter. Since this was my first stone, I didn't want to invest much in new tools in case I really really sucked at it. I'm not off to the best start, but I think if I get a few more under my belt, I might make the investment (I know, I know, $20 isn't a ton, but it's enough for another sheet of foam!). Your lettering is awe-inspiring..! It really is! I don't know that I'd have the patience to do that... (in fact, let me just say that I know I don't!). I wish I could find some foam (or even wood!) letters in a good font and size. Sheesh!

You're all so amazing. Thanks for your help and kind words..! I'm still not sure which route I'm taking, so keep the suggestions coming (please?) :p

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I busted out laughing when you said, "I just worked really hard to get this dark, aged look... why would I paint white over it?!?!?!?!". Hee - I think that every time I do this too. Makes it so worth it while you are drybrushing to see the magic that it does.

As for epitaphs - how about you graffiti it? (Joking!) Couldn't help myself ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
You could use a stencil and a wood burner for the lettering. You control the depth of the burn. Using a burner with adjustable heat setting if preferred, but not needed. The stone looks great. Gr8 job!!

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I busted out laughing when you said, "I just worked really hard to get this dark, aged look... why would I paint white over it?!?!?!?!". Hee - I think that every time I do this too. Makes it so worth it while you are drybrushing to see the magic that it does.

As for epitaphs - how about you graffiti it? (Joking!) Couldn't help myself ;)
GRAFFITI!

Haha, I really love your graffitied stones. I know I wouldn't be able to pull it off as cool as you did, though!

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could use a stencil and a wood burner for the lettering. You control the depth of the burn. Using a burner with adjustable heat setting if preferred, but not needed. The stone looks great. Gr8 job!!
I think that's the route I may go. I would imagine I'd have more control with a wood burner than with, say, my dremel. Just the way it's held... But I still think it wouldn't be hard to put some thin foam board on the back and cut/burn all the way through it.

Decisions, decisions...!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts