Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Very cool! I bet it'll look great if you have a light shining up at it during the night. It can cast a creepy long shadow on the side of that (your?) house.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Great Job! I love scarecrows...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Was scared that it sucked because I only got two comments but hundreds looked at it. I have 3 strobe lights flashing on it at night and there will be 10mm green LEDs going in the head soon.

I may try the white spot light idea at night instead of the strobes.

Thanks for the kind words on my first attempt. I got tons of ideas from people on these forums and others. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :)

Scarab

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Looks great! You may wanna try green, red, or blue steady lighting instead of the strobe. I think you'll find it's a much better effect. I'm not a big fan of strobes on static objects, it tends to be annoying to look at.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about a white flood light since I'm doing green LEDs in the head? I do have a red flood already so I could try that out.

Scarab

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks great! Cant wait to see how it looks at night with the lights.

Question on your LED eyes for you. How are you powering your 10mm LED's. My first attempt I used 2 - 5mm LED connected to a 9volt and actually blew the bulbs. I was told use a resistor but no one said what size. Wonder if you had any suggestion since you are doing LED eyes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know these 10mm LEDs are rated at 9 volts so I'll just hook up a 9v battery to them. I may want to go 12v gel cell in the future (9v batteries are EXPENSIVE!) in which case I'll have to put in a resistor to bring the voltage down from 12 to 9. I DO NOT CLAIM to be a wiring or electric wiz. But that is a reasonably simple question to answer.

Scarab

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I know these 10mm LEDs are rated at 9 volts so I'll just hook up a 9v battery to them. I may want to go 12v gel cell in the future (9v batteries are EXPENSIVE!) in which case I'll have to put in a resistor to bring the voltage down from 12 to 9. I DO NOT CLAIM to be a wiring or electric wiz. But that is a reasonably simple question to answer.

Scarab
Actually you are not correct on this. A standard LED typically has a forward working voltage of anywhere between 1.8 and 3 depending on the color. Unless your 10mm LED's have built in resistors, 9V will instantly burn them out. There are lots of LED calculators available online to figure the proper resistor value and wattage required for any LED array. Using a current limiting resistor does not bring the voltage down, it limits the amount of current that is allowed to pass thru the LED. Here's one LED calculator. http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/led.html

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the better info! I know my 10mm LEDs are 9v. The ebay description said so and I've been using them with 9v battery without issue.

Nightcast! Listen to J-Man instead of me!

Scarab

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Thanks for the better info! I know my 10mm LEDs are 9v. The ebay description said so and I've been using them with 9v battery without issue.

Scarab
OK, good. To use those with 12V instead of 9V you will need to add an additional 160-200 ohm resistor to each LED.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I love it! The ribs are very organic looking.
I agree on the uplighting for shadow casting. Would really set this off.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
897 Posts
I never did understand why people get lots of views and nobody comments, especially when someone is introducing themselves.

Great job. I really like the creepy "fingers" too. It must look awesome at night when you see it in person. Pictures never do justice to all the hard work. :)

Marie

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for your kind words. I know that most of you are Masters of prop-making and your words mean a lot. This, being my first foray into doing my own props, was daunting.

For those that care, I used Romex (electrical wiring) for the fingers. The idea just came to me and I had some laying around. NOT A CHEAP CHOICE but it looks pretty good and holds it's position. Everything, of course, was textured with Great Stuff.

Also, those arms are creating a GREAT DEAL OF STRESS on the 4-way PVC joiner that makes the body-to-shoulders-to-neck. If I did it again i'd start with a minimum of 2" - 3" PVC for the "body" and just out of the shoulders instead of 1 1/2" PVC pipe and then scale down to 1" - 1 1/2" for the upper and lower arms, and neck. It's too much weight and stress for 1 1/2" pvc to handle.

Scarab

1 - 20 of 27 Posts