Halloween Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I'm in an apartment on campus where you can't do much, but I was able to get away with some stuff. I hope next year I'll have the space and the resources to do a real big show. It's hard to get to Goodwill and thrift shops (where you get the vintage stuff) -where I am so have to depend on Dollar Tree and making my own. Things will get better plus there will be sales after 31st October!
I miss doing the big display back home in the Caribbean...I actually got some messages from people wondering if I was going to do it? It's a bit bitter sweet. I love that I am in the heart of Halloween but my what I left my heart back home... well there is always next year. And I'm keeping the tree up till New year....For me Halloween is all year round- it keeps me sane.
Window Plant Light Sky Interior design

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love this! I've seen folks in multi-story buildings, who only have a small balcony to work with, do small displays and it's terrific (particularly when most don't). Good job!

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,533 Posts
Don't worry about being able to have space or to afford things. The stores are lacking in a lot of stuff any way so you work with what you've got & can afford.

Remember we didn't all start with massive amounts of props & decor, some of us started with a Beistle cutout that was our great-grandmother's & a Telco Vampire motionette (which we still have) & built our collections & displays from there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't worry about being able to have space or to afford things. The stores are lacking in a lot of stuff any way so you work with what you've got & can afford.

Remember we didn't all start with massive amounts of props & decor, some of us started with a Beistle cutout that was our great-grandmother's & a Telco Vampire motionette (which we still have) & built our collections & displays from there.

Hello, back home I made most of my stuff so don't worry-and when Iget my car I go Good Will Hunting..... so there is a lot of hope next year- Most of teh places sold out stuff though so people are really back into it . I aim for next year. All the best

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hello All, I'm in an apartment on campus where you can't do much, but I was able to get away with some stuff. I hope next year I'll have the space and the resources to do a real big show. It's hard to get to Goodwill and thrift shops (where you get the vintage stuff) -where I am so have to depend on Dollar Tree and making my own. Things will get better plus there will be sales after 31st October!
I miss doing the big display back home in the Caribbean...I actually got some messages from people wondering if I was going to do it? It's a bit bitter sweet. I love that I am in the heart of Halloween but my what I left my heart back home... well there is always next year. And I'm keeping the tree up till New year....For me Halloween is all year round- it keeps me sane.
View attachment 754274
Welcome! You definitely have the Halloween spirit! The lighting, pumpkins, skeleton, & cat silhouette are great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Set up Looks good, love all the colored lights, skeletons and pumpkins. I remember your post from a while ago and glad to see you made it here for your studies. Is your school in an area where you have a cool fall, which would be a big seasonal change from the Carribean? I grew up in the upper midwest but moved to a warmer climate and do miss seeing all the colorful fall leaves on the trees. Stay well and enjoy the holiday!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, Yes -they are big on fall here with a lot of trees-They are now starting to turn - A bit late here they say. I am looking forward to Winter-it will be as cold a Hell (LOL I hope) - Very new to it but I will adapt- I'm looking forward to making snow Jack o lanterns. I live on campus -Graduate housing -the people here are not friendly and don't care for anything- But I'm not stopping- I did it on my own 10, 000 miles away ... so here will be no different. More pumpkins though!!!!!1

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello, Yes -they are big on fall here with a lot of trees-They are now starting to turn - A bit late here they say. I am looking forward to Winter-it will be as cold a Hell (LOL I hope) - Very new to it but I will adapt- I'm looking forward to making snow Jack o lanterns. I live on campus -Graduate housing -the people here are not friendly and don't care for anything- But I'm not stopping- I did it on my own 10, 000 miles away ... so here will be no different. More pumpkins though!!!!!1
More and more people seem to be in foul moods most of the time, I blame politics and this frickn' pandemic. Enjoy Halloween the way you want, screw those clowns.

·
Registered
14,553 Posts
Graduate housing may explain some of the attitude. Serious about their studies and finishing up within their year and not going over into another. I’m sure freshman college students are more party goers and would be into celebrating the holiday.

·
Premium Member
Vintage lawn decorations (i.e., blow molds) and homemade haunts!
50 Posts
It looks great! Especially for being in a city....you're bringing a little bit of the Caribbean to your new home! Keep an eye on estate/yard sales too, for some of the great vintage lawn decorations (blow molds). Good luck!

View attachment 754274

·
Registered
86 Posts
Halloween for us has always been about putting out as much Halloween spirit as we can, regardless of where we are. Something is always better than nothing. You're doing the right thing. Even a little bit of Halloween tethers us not only to the holiday, but to where we call home. In these crazy times, that is a whole lot of comfort to get from a few pumpkins and grinning skeletons.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
View attachment 754274
Find your Local "Buy Nothing" group. They are always giving stuff away. It's a great way to meet people & find stuff for free

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Find your Local "Buy Nothing" group. They are always giving stuff away. It's a great way to meet people & find stuff for free
Hey I'll look for that-if you get a link send it to me please I'm new to the system here so any help matters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts