1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't know what that creepy thing crawling out of your graveyard is but it would certainly make me walk MUCH faster to get past it! :)

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
For your first year decorating, you did a great job. You have some good space to work with, and your props are well placed. Lighting is nice too, which is often hard when you're first starting out. As far as suggestions, what are you loking to do? Expand the cemetery theme? A fence around the perimeter of the yard would be a good start. You can make some nice foam tombstones of your own design that will give the yard more punch. so many things you can do but think of if you want to keep a central theme or maybe mix things up year to year. The front porch is a great area for a scene.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front porch is a great area for a scene.
I'm thinking about using the front porch in 2014 for a witch's coven. I also want to put a full fence around the yard. Being in the city I have a street light in my front yard. My local Menards always has great deals on everything. I can't wait til this Halloween.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
Fencing in the yard and running it down both sides of the walkway can allow you to expand the cemetery to both sides if you want. A witch scene on the patio would look great and there are a couple of threads on the forum dedicated to just witch ideas. The street light can be a bit of a nuisance but maybe find a way to use it to your advantage. If you want a touch of realism, allow your grass to grow out for about three weeks before Halloween. It will give the lawn a nice neglected look. Maybe find some good sized tree branches and stake them in the yard for some added detail/dimension.
Click on the link at the bottom of my post and it shows our display from 2012 where we did a witch theme, along with our traditional graveyard.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jdubbya: two questions. Where did you find your masks for the witches and how do you get them to fill out. I used Great Stuff expanding foam on my witch last year and it didn't do too bad. I just pulled it out of the box last weekend and peeled the mask away from the foam, it left a cool indention on the foam of the witches face, but ripped the mask a little. As far as the tree branches go I live right on the Ohio River so there is always trees that are washed up on the shore. On another note when you talk about dimension, I learned something from the late great Walt Disney. When they were designing Main Street USA for the Magic Kingdom he talked about the buildings. He said the higher up on the building the smaller the scale was on the design. I thought this to be a good idea, I plan on making tomb stones on the far side of my house smaller in the back than the front. I figure also to put them on a higher level to give it a far away look. For the downside of decorating, there is a large empty lot on the corner of my street next to my house. I do not own it, it is owned by the city. I sooo wish I could buy it, I would have an endless amount of space, and I could put on a yard haunt. Sorry for going on and on, just trying to make some new friends and learn from the veteran haunters.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
There are some really nice witch masks out there. Death Studios has some great sculpts. Swamp Witch is my favorite among their collection.

http://www.deathstudios.com/Masks/Index.cfm/go:site.Group/Group:11/ID:1/index.html

Halloween Asylum has a few. I have "Wicca" and she looks great for use as an old ancient hag.

http://www.halloweenasylum.com/wicce_halloween_mask.html

check out the Horror Dome as well for some nice witches.

http://www.thehorrordome.com/the-swamp-hag-collector-halloween-mask.aspx

I simply put them on styrofoam wig heads mounted on half inch pvc necks.

A daytime pic of ours from last year

The idea of forced persepctive involves placing tall objects in the front and smaller ones in the back. Makes the space look deeper. I do this with some of our tombstones, placing the taller ones in front and gradually working back to the smaller stones.
There are a lot of great ideas for making your own tombstones out of foam insulation and other materials.
Good luck with this year's haunt. You have some great ideas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts