Halloween Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
He looks amazing!! Great job! I like that you didn't make his face symetric, it definitely gives him that little extra something.

"This is a close up of the right hand. A critter (probably a rat) gnawed that hole in the top but I decided to leave it because it looked kinda cool. Now I need to decide how to paint it so it looks like a corpse wound and not a fresh wound...any suggestions?"

I would say use some stain that you let sit and congeal a bit first. That way when you plop it into the "wound" it will dry like congealed blood/gore and have tecture and be much darker. Not sure how it would work, but in my mind's eye it would be cool.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Immortalia, you're very sweet!

I like the idea about the wound on the right hand, I'll give that a try.

Also, I was looking at him this morning and I decided that dry brushing with white would be a bad idea. I think I'm going to dry brush him with some dark red paint. The white would be too "white", you know? Dark red would keep that nice, rotting corpse, beef jerky look...I hope! I'll post some pics of the final product as soon as I get him done up right.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yes use a deep red and maybe a lighter red to give him depth. Even a little mustard color to give it more of that rotting look. He or she is really coming along.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes use a deep red and maybe a lighter red to give him depth. Even a little mustard color to give it more of that rotting look. He or she is really coming along.
Ooooh, I like that idea, depth is good. I also like the idea of a little mustard color, rotting is good too!

He, she...hmmm, I suppose it's pretty much genderless but I've been working on it so long I started calling it "him" when I refer to it. My son and I actually named it "RC" for rotting corpse. :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Oh go on, you're embarassing me...no really, go on, I need the praise...lol

Seriously, you guys are too nice. I really appreciate all the nice compliments.

I decided to patch the "wound" on the right hand and I got a dry brushing of dark red on him last night. I also dry brushed on some glow-in-the-dark paint and shined a black light on him. He looks pretty good, very creepy in the black light. I'll post some pics of the finished product later, I'm not sure how well he will show up under the black light in a photo but we'll give it a try.

Later y'all!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, I promised pictures of the final product and here they are:

Finished ground breaker.jpg

I added some glow in the dark paint and it glows really nice under a black light but I had to get really close so you could see the effect:

Close up w glow paint.jpg

A tip that I can pass along: don't use a flour and water paste for your paper mache if you have critters running around where you live. My corpse ended up smelling like bread and attracted something that nibbled on it! lol

Also, if you put your skeleton in a reaching pose like I did, be sure to prop up the reaching arm after you have it covered in paper mache. Even though my arm was made from PVC it started to droop so I propped it up with some stuff to keep it in the position I wanted till the paper mache dried. After that it seems to be rock solid.

Thanks again for all of your nice comments along the way. I can't wait to put it out for Halloween!! :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Looks good for your first one! When I did my first corpsing it was in 2007 with a different method. I have since found a cheaper, easier and more effective way to corpse a skeleton. You could definitely try it on yours if you wanted to. It involved a heat gun and either plastic bags or a drop cloth, depending on how large the surface or the intended texture. Also adding paint for highlights and low lights on your corpse gives it some added depth. I provided a picture below. Again, great work for your first one! I love seeing peoples props!

l_158b3baedbb3e3e94e65c15ec539d9b4.jpg

ffff.jpg

2011-2012
20111028_133535.jpg

I can't wait to see your other work :)

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Very nice job. Groundbreakers are great props to build as you can experiment with many techniques to achieve different effects, and a good haunt can never have too many of them!!
imindless' tip of using the plastic bag or dropcloth corpsing technique also has the added benefit of being somewhat waterproof when used on a bucky or over a pvc frame, which is one drawback with papier mache, especially here in rainy old England.
Stiltbeast studios has a pretty good YT vid showing this technique in some detail.
Best of luck and happy building!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks Baron, I look forward to making my next ground breaker. I feel like I learned a lot this time around. I've seen many great corpsing techniques but I think I like the one using plastic sheet and a hot air gun. I probably won't start anything till after the first of the year though. I've got lots of time to plan it out.

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
Great job to both of you!!! They both look deliciously disgusting! LOL I can't wait to start one of my own....now if only we could have an end to the SUPER rainy Summer that we've been having in my area......

21 - 35 of 35 Posts