Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you scary people!

I recently started making my first ground breaker ever. I have not done a tutorial for it since I am following the tutorial done by Spooky Blue (which you can find using this link http://www.spookyblue.com/halloween/groundbreaker/groundbreaker1.htm)

Here are the pics:

Ground breaker_bare.jpg
This is after I have the basic shape to my liking. One tip, if you intend to do an arm reaching out like I have, use a short piece of PVC pipe for the upper arm (it supports the rest of the arm better than just newspaper)

EDIT: I had to make the whole left arm using PVC covered in newspaper. Rolled up newspaper just isn't strong enough to support the entire arm at that length.

Skull_before.jpg
This is a styrofoam skull I got at Michaels. I was hoping for a resin skull but beggars can't be choosers, right? lol

Skull_after.jpg
I wanted the skull to have an open mouth so I got out a tiny saw blade and my exacto knife and did some plastic surgery. I think I might attach the jaw so it hangs loose on one side (a creepier look I think).

Ground breaker_first paper mache coat.jpg
And here he is after getting his first coating of paper mache. I might do a second coat or go straight to paint. I'll post some more pictures when I have made some more progress.

I appreciate any and all comments and tips you may have.

Thanks!

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
Great work so far. I have been considering using one of my more "seasoned" blucky's that has joint issues for something like this. Last year I just used very thin metal dowels hidden in grass to support his chest and reaching arm to make him look like he was crawling out of my graveyard.... One of these days I'll actually get around to loading pics.

Are you planning on corpsing him at some point? I'm very curious to see how your build goes so I have a good direction for my own. Awww, you're my Gory Inspiration!! :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you planning on corpsing him at some point? I'm very curious to see how your build goes so I have a good direction for my own. Awww, you're my Gory Inspiration!! :)
I'm not sure how much corpsing I will be doing. At this point I'm thinking I might just paint him a disgusting color and give him a nice dry brushing with white to bring out some detail. I'll be sure to post pics either way.

"You're my gory inspiration"....that's the nicest thing anyone ever said to me! Thanks! :D

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:) That looks great! And thanks for posting your tips along with your build. That gives everyone the benefit of your build process and those tips are priceless.:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the nice comments, it's really encouraging.

I got out my can of mis-tinted paint to give him some color and discovered that I had bought a can of stain instead of paint, the newspaper print shows right through the stain...:eek:

Oh well, my next step is to corpse my ground breaker using Spooky Blue's method (paper towels and paper mache paste). My hope is that the white paper towels will cover over the news print and the stain will make it look all brown and disgusting. Keep your fingers crossed!

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Joker, I finished covering him in paper towels earlier today. I should be able to put a coat of stain on him tomorrow after I get home from work.

I think you're right, the towels covered the newsprint pretty well and the paper mache paste I used is sort of brown so it helps cover it. We'll see...da da duuummmmm....lol

·