Halloween Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm definitely going to do it this year, I'm going to build my first FCG. And I'm looking for a little hand-holding through the process.

Actually I'm more interested in the mechanism than the "ghost" part - I plan to use it to create a pirate sword fight scene on my porch. (May end up with two FCGs to get all the movement I want.) I do want to build it myself rather than buy a frame or a kit. Skill level? I've never done any animatronics more complex than attaching a torso to an oscillating fan, but I'm very patient and follow directions well. I can wire a lamp and replace a switch, but I've never done any electronics. I have worked with wood, but not metal.

The instructions at Phantasmechanics seem to be the best I've seen and I thought I'd get the motor and power supply at Monsterguts.

Before I start ordering supplies, do you guys know of a better set of instructions for a beginner or of design improvements? And since the Dayton motor has been discontinued, is the one at Monsterguts a good substitute in your experience?

I'll update this thread as I progress and look forward to any suggestions.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
A couple of years ago, Sabre Curt did a pirate skeleton fight using the FCG rig - he had a video of it in action.
Sadly, all the links are dead, and/or the Photobucket account has gone private.

Here's the thread in which he had it all posted...looks like Sabre Curt hasn't checked in since April of 2008, so you could send him a private message and see if he'll respond.
( http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/52783-skeleton-sword-fight.html )
He did give a little detail on what he did to get the skelly's sword-fighting using the rig...perhaps that will help you with your ideas?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts