Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first coffin build....UPDATE: PASE 2 COMPLETE

I try to add something every year. This years finances dictated something cheap so I scavenged a bunch of pallets and broke them down for the wood and grabbed a piece of plywood from work that was part of a shipping crate. I had a can of screws that was in the garage when I bought the house.

I started out by laying my walgreen skelly on the plywood, making some measurements, drawing some lines, and cutting the base to shape.

Then I added my upright supports for the walls. Once they were glued & screwed in place I started cutting and adding the boards. Once the walls were done I made the top. The pictures dont show a side view but they look like the top.

Now if I can figure out the mechanics......I want to cut a hole in the back side of it so I can route my fog chiller into it (thats the easy part). Then I want to figure out a way to make the skelly sit up. Pneumatics are the obvious choice but I want to try and do it with an electric motor as I have zero experience with air. Im also thinking about a colored light inside the coffin.

UPDATE:

Phase 2 was to see if I could figure out a way to make the skeleton sit up. I have never used pneumatics before so I thought I would try to build a pneumatic setup as cheap as possible using easily obtainable parts. I am using a sprinkler head for a piston. I scavenged a solenoid valve setup out of an old washing machine. I have a bunch of air leaks to fix yet (thats what all the noise is) but once that is done, it should snap up a lot faster and be a lot quieter. Once I have that done I will set it up for use with my fog machine & chiller. Will post an update again once everything is finished.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks. I didnt age the wood at all. I tore the pallets apart and left the wood outside to age for a while. The dimensions are off and there are lots of places where the wood doesnt match up but that is exactly what I was looking for. I wanted it to come out looking rough and it certainly did that. I am NO kind of carpenter. Now to figure out how to make the skelly sit up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
on my static coffin i put a motion light inside with a screw in strobe and led light bulb on test mode. works great and draws the attention away from the TOT in case you wanna set up a scare prop close by.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Really nice coffin Lumpy, pallets are great because they are already beat up and nasty looking...perfect for coffin! lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thank you for this post! My husband I were trying to figure the easiest way possible to do this and yours is awesome and looks simple enough... well, that is until I try and help. lol...

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
He'll look good with a motor running him. I used a motor from Monsterguts on a 5v 5a circuit. Works really well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts