Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks in huge part to Terra for her great youtube tutorials I made these guys. I have no artistic talent, all the carving was done by dremel. Can anyone tell me who the people are on the tombstones without googling?
0805141045.jpg

0812141632.jpg

0812141632a.jpg

Thanks for looking. Criticisms/ suggestions are welcomed

·
Registered
436 Posts
Vigo is the "Ghostbusters" villain from the painting.

Elliot Spencer is pinhead from "Hell Raiser"

I got Vigo right away. I had to think for a few minutes before coming up with Pinhead

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Jealous! I wish I could master this gravestone art.. mine always look so cheap n flimsy no matter what I carve into them or paint em..

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jealous! I wish I could master this gravestone art.. mine always look so cheap n flimsy no matter what I carve into them or paint em..
I can't imagine what you're doing wrong. I wasn't kidding, I have NO artistic talent. I printed everything on paper then traced it onto the foam, then used a dremel to cut it out. No freehand, only tracing.

Honestly I think the most important part is figuring what to put on them, making sure it fits your theme. My theme this year is 'darkness', so I had to have some dark tombstones. :)

Great job nailing the characters Sid. Are you SURE you didn't google Elliot? ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
I can't imagine what you're doing wrong. I wasn't kidding, I have NO artistic talent. I printed everything on paper then traced it onto the foam, then used a dremel to cut it out. No freehand, only tracing.

Honestly I think the most important part is figuring what to put on them, making sure it fits your theme. My theme this year is 'darkness', so I had to have some dark tombstones. :)

No googling. I don't know where I pulled the answer from?? I am not a HellRaiser fan and have never watched the entire movie the whole way through at one time. I have seen bits and pieces of it many times over and over. I am truly baffled that I knew the answer. I guess I just saw the correct scene enough to get the final jeopardy question correct. I pull the final jeopardy answer out of my butt on many occasions and my wife always accuses me of seeing the episode before watching it with her. If I could only harness the power and profit from it some how.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure it shows in the pictures, but they came out looking like they were made of completely different materials. The Elliot Spencer looks like it's made from marble, and the Vigo looks like it's made from stone or concrete. I guess its just because of the color of the tea staining and the amount I did.

I really want to encourage anyone who is afraid they aren't 'talented' enough to give it a shot. Terra's tutorials make it look really easy and for the most part it is as easy as she made it look. My next step is to purchase an exacto knife so I can do some finer carving, but that might require some artistry that I am lacking.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts

That's the trick! Making stencils, applying and tracing them. Something I haven't done with mine yet, but they're 5-6 years old and just can't be bothered. Maybe over this next year I'll get some sheets of real blue styrofoam and get something put together. This year is about the columns and fence project

·
Registered
265 Posts
Those look great, I got Vigo right off but didn't know the other until I read the answer. Great looking stones!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
One way you can do this is to head down to your local stone bench top supplier, ask them for any old off cuts that they have,
Use a dreamer or other type of engraver.
Before you engrave write on the marble or stone in a contrasting color so that you can see what you are about to engrave,
Then engrave out the letters, numbers, words, symbols or shapes.
fill the engrave parts with a contrasting paint so that it shows.
You may be able to set the stone or Marble into a concrete stand.

Hey presto home made tomb stone. And one of a kinds!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts