Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried my hand at making some columns/pillars to spice up my cemetery fence. I only made two because of time constraints, but I plan on making more for next year. Any feedback would be appreciated!

also, I bought one skull at Michaels yesterday without knowing what I was going to do with it. Decided to put it on top of the pillars so I'm going to buy a second one.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Great job with painting and ageing them - they look really old & like they've been there forever (Civil War era). You did a nice job adding black & mildew/fungus look to your fence, too. That's impressive, it shows how a relatively inexpensive material can look much more realistic and creepy if you invest time and skill into it.

The only thing I can think to suggest is some moss. Just to add to the creepy vibe. The pillars could have moss on them at the base and a little at the top. Depending on how gross you want to go, you could use latex corpsing to make the skulls look like monsters that are mostly decomposed - but that may not be right for the age group of TOTs you get.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great job with painting and ageing them - they look really old & like they've been there forever (Civil War era). You did a nice job adding black & mildew/fungus look to your fence, too. That's impressive, it shows how a relatively inexpensive material can look much more realistic and creepy if you invest time and skill into it.

The only thing I can think to suggest is some moss. Just to add to the creepy vibe. The pillars could have moss on them at the base and a little at the top. Depending on how gross you want to go, you could use latex corpsing to make the skulls look like monsters that are mostly decomposed - but that may not be right for the age group of TOTs you get.
Thanks! Although I have to admit, about the fence, I did nothing to it. I bought it on craigslist a few years ago, it's an old snow fence, got 50 feet for $20! It was very beat up when I bought it, and I store it behind my garage outside with no cover. So that is 100% mother nature at work!

I like the idea of the moss, I'll pick some up tomorrow. I was thinking of just adding some paint to the skulls, but might do the latex idea.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with @Engineerchic Texture if fabulous, but moss, or a some green/brown paint to give it the overgrown look would be a fantastic finishing touch. Don't have the time or space to make my own (yet).
Thanks! Now that you say it, I'll probably water down some green / brown paint in a squirt bottle and hit it in some spots.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How heavy did these end up? How did you secure them to the ground?
They are very light on their own. I used some yard stakes, but also because they are hollow I filled them up about halfway with sand which made them feel very sturdy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts