Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some really awesome pumpkin sentinels on Halloween Forum and thought "I can do that...I think..." So, here is what I have so far. I used wire coat hangers and duct tape for the body and paper mache for the head. My next step will be to add some pumpkin guts under the ribcage. Sorry I don't have more photos, but I didn't think of posting them until my husband convinced me to. Let me know what you think.

IMG_20130815_171733.jpg
IMG_20130815_171739.jpg
IMG_20130819_191400.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey can you send more details to me about this... its amazing and been looking to try something like this... thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey can you send more details to me about this... its amazing and been looking to try something like this... thanks

No problem! Like I said, I didn't think of posting pictures when I stared this so I only have what is posted. However, I will try to explain in as much detail what I used and did to create this.

What you will need...
One 5 ft piece of PVC (whatever diameter you desire...I used 3/4 inch)
One 45 degree PVC elbow (same diameter)
One smaller piece of PVC (same diameter...this will be used for the neck so use whatever length you want the neck to be)
You will also need something to keep this upright while working on the sentinel. I made a base using more PVC.
Multiple wire coat hangers...as many as you can find.
Duct tape
Masking tape
Solid picture wire
Wire cutters
A lot of newspaper
Inflatable beach ball
Glue
Mod Podge
Aluminum foil
Can of clear spray paint sealer
Spray paint or whatever you decide to use for creating your final look

The body...
Cut off the hook on the wire coat hangers. Bend the piece into an oval type shape and secure to the PVC using duct tape. This will be the start of the ribs. Do this multiple times for however many ribs you want. Cover ribcage with duct tape including the inside of ribcage. The duct tape holds the ribs together rather well, it will be pretty sturdy. Cut more coat hangers to create the collar bone and shoulders (see first picture). I used two parallel to each other and connected them to each other and to the PVC. Build up the neck area (the smaller piece of PVC) using any filler, I used newspaper. Cover with duct tape. Connect rib cage to the neck/collar bone area using more duct tape. The arms are also made from two lengths of coat hangers parallel to each other. These are connected to the shoulder area by just bending the top end of the arm and hooking over the shoulder. Bend the bottom end of the arm also, this will be used to connect to the hands. Flesh our the arms with newspaper and cover with duct tape. The hands are also made from...wait for it...wire coat hangers, newspaper to flesh out, and tape. I used masking tape for these. Bend the wire to make the hand and connect pieces of wire to make fingers. Flesh out hand with newspaper. Cover all with masking tape. Connect hands to arms. The hands will be a bit heavy for the arms so I just took a small piece of the picture wire and wired a finger to the rib cage. Once secured to the ribcage the arms and hands will be pretty sturdy. Okay, I think the body is built. Apply a couple layers of Mod Podge to entire build. This will help smooth out all the tape edges. Once dry apply the spray sealer.

The head...
This took the majority of the time so I would start this first and work on it as you build the body. The head is paper mache. Inflate the beach ball, but not all the way. Tape around the beach ball with masking tape. Inflate beach ball fully. This will create pumpkin ridges. Cover with paper mache. I started with a water and flour mixture but then switched to just glue and water. I found the glue and water mixture dried a lot quicker and was much harder when dry. Apply quite a few layers, making sure to let each layer dry between applications. I used 5 layers at this point. Draw out your face now so you know where to place more detail. I made more detail using aluminum foil and duct tape around the eyes and such. The stem is a long piece of the picture wire covered with aluminum foil and connected to the head with duct tape. Cover entire stem with duct tape. Apply one more layer of paper mache. Let dry and cut out the face. Cut a hole in the bottom of the head to fit over the neck. I used orange spray paint inside the head to give it a nice glow once I light him up. I then covered the outside in a black spray paint as a base color. Then just paint how you want. Mounting the head will be up to you. I need to be able to remove the head (as it is over 6ft tall with the head) so I just added another PVC elbow and piece of PVC on the neck and placed the head over it (it will stabilize the head) but I may change this up at some point to make it more stable...maybe add a screw.

Okay, I think that is it. Have fun!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
you always paint and construct these props so well. .. Very nicely done..
Thank you so much for the comment. This is actually my first project. The rest of the projects posted here from us are from my husband. Thanks again and I can't wait to post more of my own projects on HF!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He is finished! I added some guts using spray foam. I then used spray adhesive to attach some creepy cloth and covered it all with spray paint. Here are some pictures day and night. The head lights up and the body will also have a strobe light flashing on it. Enjoy! guts2.jpg guts1.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a little mishap with the sentinel head. As it was made of paper mache, rain does not play well. The first night he was up it rained unbeknownst to me. Lesson learned...the head collapsed. In a quick effort to make a new and durable head, I ran to Target and bought their jumbo pumpkin pail. With a new face, stem, and paint he is back to life.
new1.jpg
new2.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts