Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first attempt at a large pirate display. We built a small deck off the front of my house a year or so ago and I got the idea to turn it into a pirate ship for Halloween. I have been working on it for the last couple of weeks. I got some great ideas for this ship from a lot of the members on this board.

It is a "Work in progress". I have a little more "Tweaking" to do before the big day. I still have to add a skeleton pirate that will be "Walking the plank" and I have one more free standing pirate skeleton that has yet to be delivered.

I am also still working on the navigational (Red/Green) lanterns. I have a fog machine that will go behind the "Bow" along with a lightening strobe. There will also be a lightening strobe on the main deck next to the ship's wheel. The deck torches will be lit at night.

I am also going to be adding some rope "Rigging" and more netting to finish her off........l

I give you the "Mourning Star":

Here is a link to the rest of my pics:

mic214/Pirate Ship 2008 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thanks for looking........

"One Eyed" Mick

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
LOVE it! Great work!

I was going to do something similar with my back deck, but I have a stucco house and my husband vetoed my idea.

Great cannons and accents.

Does your ship have a name?

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
WOW! Mic214 that is amazing!!! For a first attempt....well that looks pretty profesional to me! I love how you made it part of the actual house. It looks huge. The TOT are going to love coming to your house this year. Very nice work.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOVE it! Great work!

I was going to do something similar with my back deck, but I have a stucco house and my husband vetoed my idea.

Great cannons and accents.

Does your ship have a name?
The name of the ship is the "Mourning Star".

Awesome job! I love it! Where did you get your anchors from?
I got my anchors off of the internet from the "Digital Gift Store". Here is a link to their site:

Pelican Bay Nautical Gifts SF-02 24 Inch Styrofoam Anchor with 50 Inch Chain

Thank you all for the kind words. I am really having a blast working on this project:D! I will be adding more pics as I go along.......

"One Eyed" Mick

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW! Mic214 that is amazing!!! For a first attempt....well that looks pretty profesional to me! I love how you made it part of the actual house. It looks huge. The TOT are going to love coming to your house this year. Very nice work.
It is a pretty fair size set up. The deck is 10' high and it is 8' deep x 14' wide. The mast runs 18' to the top of the flag pole section. After looking at the pics, I am thinking on moving the gang plank to the other side of the deck (To the bay window side) as it is easier to see......

I'd love to see a night photo. Or did I miss something...?
I added the red and green nav lites last night and also lit the torches and turned on the lightening strobe down in the bow section. I took some pics, but they didn't turn out too good. The flash kept washing everything out. I took some more pics tonight:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
This might seem like a big thing that you might have trouble convincing your significant other to do, but it would look so good: Paint the deck rails brown and then paint them back in November.

Think you could sell that?

·
Registered
84 Posts
WOAH! Such details!!! It shows you definitely put a lot of time, effort and money into it! 1st attempt? you want to make it a 2nd attempt for my house? lol jk!

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This might seem like a big thing that you might have trouble convincing your significant other to do, but it would look so good: Paint the deck rails brown and then paint them back in November.

Think you could sell that?
Ha, ha, ha.....that would be great, but I am having a hard enough time convincing my bride into letting leave it up for Christmas!!!!! I thought a "Santa Pirate" would be way cool.......she, on the other hand, does not:(!

I took some more night photos with my other camera and I think they turned out pretty cool:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Wow!! Absolutely stunning!! You did a fantastic job!! Can't wait to show my hubby...I know he will be very impressed!:)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts