Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was laughing over on the Victorian Trading Co thread that the Peeping Thomas figure they offer reminds me of a Tim Curry character from the 1986 movie THE WORST WITCH, and it got me to thinking that while many have probably seen the movie, maybe some haven't. I know it's been discussed here before, because I recall replying about it, but I thought I'd ask you what your favorite "worst" Halloween movie was.

THE WORST WITCH is so awful it's fantastic! LOL! I direct you to this hilarious review of the movie:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/worst.html

It's in 4 parts, so click Part 1, read that, then go back and read Part 2, etc. Here's a quote from the review that I totally agree with:

"Along the way, we also run into the Grand Wizard, played by Tim Curry in a role that seems to be at least somewhat inspired by his work in Rocky Horror as Dr. Frank N. Furter. Only this time, Tim's dressed up with a bat bowtie and a gay pride rainbow cape the size of a hang glider. Get the point? There's no way you can cheat yourself by not finding this movie. As if you needed any more reasons to pick it up and formulate a drinking game based on it -- Curry gets an excruiciatingly long music video thrown into the middle of the flick with every bad special effect from the 'star wipe' to the 'double-face' clumped together. The whole thing comes off worse than your friend's live-action rendition of Sweet Transvestite. It's (bleeping) amazing."

I remember watching this movie as a kid on HBO. I didn't realize how "bad" it was back then, but now when I watch it I am overcome with both hilarity & nostalgia! :D

So what do you like to watch that is "so bad, it's good" during Halloween?

·
Registered
351 Posts
That's funny because when I read the title of your thread I IMMEDIATELY thought of The Worst Witch. I bought it a few years ago thinking of how much I loved it when I was little. I had my husband sit down to watch it with me and he was...appalled. So was I. It was JUST. SO. BAD! The Tim Curry music video...my God, I have no words.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Every year I have a Bad Horror Movie night at some point in October. There's a very delicate balance you have to observe with this kind of thing - there's the type of bad that's just inept and boring, like Uwe Boll movies, and then there's the type of bad where the creators were intentionally going for a "so bad it's good" vibe which usually defeats the purpose, like Dead and Breakfast.

The original Night of the Demons fits the bill pretty well, and it takes place on Halloween so that's a bonus. Basketcase is a pretty good time.

I have to say my favorite terrible horror movie is Friday the 13th Part 4. A lot of people consider this movie legitimately good, but it's actually terrible. It's terrible in the best ways (Crispin Glover dance sequence).

·
Registered
112 Posts
The House on Haunted Hill and The Raven with Vincent Price are popular at my house...

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,674 Posts
One of my favorite "bad" Halloween movies is "Earnest Scared Stupid".

Also worthy of mention, the cast of TVs "Addams Family" did a painfully bad made-for-TV movie in 1977, titled "Halloween With The New Addams Family"

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
OH lets see he Beast Within, Sleepy Hollow High, Campfire Stories and we collect them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously the cheesier the better there is one called The Scarecrow Slayer that is so bad. During a lot of acenes you can see the red lights of the cameras in some scenes. Hillarious!!!! I personally hate Jason goes to hell.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
I wouldn't say it's necessarily "Halloween", but it is horror (kind of)... ABC's of Death. It is one of the weirdest effing movies I have ever seen. I watched it last year for my October horror movie marathon that I do.... it was pretty bad, but I love it. I can't stop talking about it. F is for Fart is by far one of the WEIRDEST things I have ever watched... ever. Google it if you're really curious... warning, it's a Japanese segment, so if that gives you any idea as to how friggin strange it's going to be... yea. You're welcome.

As for Halloween movies, I'm gonna have to second the Earnest Scared Stupid... I love Earnest movies, they're so bad they're good. Even as an adult I love them.

I did also watch Satans Little Helper last year on netflix... I wouldn't say it's good, but ummm.... yea. It's bad. I haven't decided if I like it or not.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I don't have a "worst" Halloween movie - my favorite one to watch is The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.
Don Knotts could play scared like nobody else!
And who hasn't dreamed of spending the night in a haunted house?

Ghost_and_mr_chicken_JM00509_L.jpg

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine is the sci fi "classic"(!) "Plan 9 From Outer Space". Not quite halloween but the bad acting is only surpassed by the ridiculous sets and props, the interior of the spaceship looks like a high school boiler room. The "aliens" look like they might have been extras from the original casting line up for either the Munsters or the Addams family.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I can name hundreds of bad horror movies but if we are talking about true Halloween movies based on the Holiday, I would have to say the Halloween series AFTER 1 & 2. The rest are just poor quality, low budget, humurous films.
That being said, I want to be clear that Halloween 1 & 2 are on my all time favorite movie list.

Reactions: Jenn&MattFromPA

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
I guess movie quality is a case of perception. When I think of The Worst Witch, I don't think of it being "bad." Sure, it's a TV movie from the 80s, and it's a kids' movie at that, so it's pretty cheesy. But the acting is better than a lot of children's movies I've seen in the past, and for a low budget they did a pretty good job on sets, costumes and effects. Again, I think it's all in personal perception. I love The Worst Witch, but I wouldn't call it a "bad" movie.

Silver Bullet, on the other hand, is pretty bad. But ohhhhh, I love it!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,674 Posts
Mine is the sci fi "classic"(!) "Plan 9 From Outer Space". Not quite halloween but the bad acting is only surpassed by the ridiculous sets and props, the interior of the spaceship looks like a high school boiler room. The "aliens" look like they might have been extras from the original casting line up for either the Munsters or the Addams family.
If we're talking throwback to the "classics", one that deserves mention is "The Brain That Wouldn't Die"

26511ff1ab0fbb12585d75cfea5725f6.jpg

When I was kid, the 8-foot tall thing locked in the closet scared the [email protected] outta me!

tumblr_kss066kcFf1qzr8nao1_500.jpg

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hello! I was laughing over on the Victorian Trading Co thread that the Peeping Thomas figure they offer reminds me of a Tim Curry character from the 1986 movie THE WORST WITCH, and it got me to thinking that while many have probably seen the movie, maybe some haven't. I know it's been discussed here before, because I recall replying about it, but I thought I'd ask you what your favorite "worst" Halloween movie was.

THE WORST WITCH is so awful it's fantastic! LOL! I direct you to this hilarious review of the movie:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/worst.html

It's in 4 parts, so click Part 1, read that, then go back and read Part 2, etc. Here's a quote from the review that I totally agree with:

"Along the way, we also run into the Grand Wizard, played by Tim Curry in a role that seems to be at least somewhat inspired by his work in Rocky Horror as Dr. Frank N. Furter. Only this time, Tim's dressed up with a bat bowtie and a gay pride rainbow cape the size of a hang glider. Get the point? There's no way you can cheat yourself by not finding this movie. As if you needed any more reasons to pick it up and formulate a drinking game based on it -- Curry gets an excruiciatingly long music video thrown into the middle of the flick with every bad special effect from the 'star wipe' to the 'double-face' clumped together. The whole thing comes off worse than your friend's live-action rendition of Sweet Transvestite. It's (bleeping) amazing."

I remember watching this movie as a kid on HBO. I didn't realize how "bad" it was back then, but now when I watch it I am overcome with both hilarity & nostalgia! :D

So what do you like to watch that is "so bad, it's good" during Halloween?

It's like I wrote this thread myself. That is my favorite movie as well! I watched it as a kid on Disney channel (I think), maybe it was HBO....

Has anybody seen my tambourine? Soo cheesy but sooo great!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Plan 9 From Outer Space is a classic bad movie! Love it.

I discovered that there are a lot of Mystery Science Theater 3000 movies on Netflix right now. They did all the guess work out of picking the worst horror movies, then they make fun of them. So great.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's what I love about Elvira, too! My favorite is one she actually riffed on.

Lady Frankenstein.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts