Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I wanted to show off my progress with my electric chair. I have been scowering the internet for plans and how-to's and didn't come up with anything good and easy. I'm not that great with wood, so some of these tutorials were very involved, and a bit over my head.

I finally landed on VillageHaunt.com which had some good video on how their build their electric chair, but didn't give much detail on materials used, or dimensions of the wood cuts. Village Haunt's Electric Chair

So.... after watching their video about 50 times, I was able to pick up some key words, and I used a rough from of video measurement... I measured some of the boards using the size of his pen in the video, then I would measure a pen I had near me (6"), and do the math. I'm very excited that I ended up with something very similar! :D

I'm not a carpenter by any means, and wood is not my forte - so I am very excited to have something sturdy and that resembles an electric chair!!

Here's my parts list, in case someone wants to build their own as well.

Inventory:
  • Qty 2: 4x4" posts cut to 48" for the back - (I cheated, I used 2 2x4's for this since the 4x4 posts wouldn't fit in my car)
  • Qty 2: 4x4" posts cut to 26" for the front - (I cheated, I used 2 2x4's for this since the 4x4 posts wouldn't fit in my car)
  • Qty 4: 1x8" board cut to 20" for the front and back of the "box" and the back of the chair
  • Qty 2: 1x8" board cut to 18" for the 2 sides of the "box"
  • Qty 1: plywood piece cut to 20x20" for the seat
  • Qty 2: 1x4 board cut to 20" for the arms
  • Qty 8: Small L-bracket corner brackets for the boards on the back of the chair
  • Qty 2: corner brackets for the arms
  • Qty 1: Tube of Gorilla glue for all joints for extra security
  • Seat height: 19" off the ground
  • Seat width x length: 20x20"
Assembly was pretty easy once I had this list down. Even for a newbie like me! All told (buying the wood, cutting it, gluing and assembly) this project so far has taken me about 6 hours. Now to stain it and put some wires and strobes on it. So, what do you think? Thoughts? Suggestions?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Looks great so far..... an electric chair is my project for this year's haunt also. And just so you know I plan on stealing some ideas from your design there. ;)

I think I'm going to make my chair with a taller back than most of the ones I've seen...... probably around six feet I'm thinking.

What color are you going to stain or paint it? I think I'm either going to go with gray or black and use these silver and black skulls I got from Walgreens last year. I'm thinking of putting the skulls on each post and having the "power cables" coming out from each skull.

I want my chair to look very black and gothic.

·
Registered
537 Posts
What a great start!! I 'm going to build one but not for a prop. I think I must have one for the MAN cave. I must, I must.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Oh I'm loving it so far. I'm thinking great idea and hmm I have some spare wood down stairs maybe ..... what a shame I happened to have cut those 2x4's the wrong size before :p

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks great! I want to get the shocker kit for mine, but it's too pricey for me for this year.

Do you know if they sell the mask separately? That would be the key thing I am after out of that set

·
Registered
648 Posts
drsprite
I asked them the same question about the mask.
They will not sell you just the mask.
I agree, the mask is really the only cool thing about the kit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great so far..... an electric chair is my project for this year's haunt also. And just so you know I plan on stealing some ideas from your design there. ;)

I think I'm going to make my chair with a taller back than most of the ones I've seen...... probably around six feet I'm thinking.

What color are you going to stain or paint it? I think I'm either going to go with gray or black and use these silver and black skulls I got from Walgreens last year. I'm thinking of putting the skulls on each post and having the "power cables" coming out from each skull.

I want my chair to look very black and gothic.
I think I'm going to stain it a brownish oak color to give it some age. The "fresh off the Lowes shelf" look doesn't seem very scary - haha :rolleyes:

I stayed with a 4ft back on this chair because I knew it'd be heavy. This thing is sort of a beast - definitely has some weight to it! I'd say 40lbs easy, and it's just wood, glue and screws

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm planning on building one of these as well. If you happen to come across a great mask and gloves tha fit the bill let us know about it. Great work!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sweet! Can't wait to see it stained and finished. I love electric chair rooms! And great tutorial. The series of pix with the dimensions in the intro made that really clear.

*sigh* now I'm getting nostalgic... wanna do another electrocution scene...!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a couple questions, and I'm hoping someone knows the answer.

I'm trying to save money and I'm looking to do a mock up of "The Shocker" prop. I plan on having an mp3 looping with buzzing and screaming sounds, a strobe light, and my fog machine all hooked up to a wireless "x10-style" controlled outlet. When the actor in the chair presses the wireless remote control for outlet on, that'll start the smoke, audio, strobes and the acting. When he presses off, the show is over... until he jumps up at the crowd :D

My questions are:

1) Do you know of an mp3 with those buzzing and screaming sounds?
2) I have an American DJ Mister Kool fog machine that I plan on using. The remote has 3 buttons - Power, Fog, and Timer. I've read about some relays out there and some wiring that when AC power is applied, it'll "press the button" for fog. But since my remote has a power button on it, I am assuming that must apply some sort power? Is there a way to control the "fog button" using an AC input when I turn the outlet on?

Hopefully I didn't confuse you!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great Job. I too could not find to many how tos on electric chairs last year when I built mine. So I just winged it. It was big enough for me to sit in and you could still see all the lights over my head. I am 6'4 and 230 pounds. So I HAD A BIG CHAIR. Its already on the forum in someones thread so I don't want to post it again and take up space. Its on you tube " Electric Chair 2" if you cant find it here in the forum.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Drsprite
Here is the chair that I built with the shocker kit.
I was going to use an mp3 file but I decided to use a sander instead.
Stock Music | Sound Effects | Free Sound Effects has a great selection of sound clips.
I think I found one there of screams and electric current.
If not, you could just combine a scream sound byte with an electricity sound byte.
Good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the link! I'm going to see if I can find it and/or make my own. I'm still trying to figure out the fog machine thing too

·
Registered
66 Posts
used some ideas from internet. couldn't find a sander so im using an old engraving tool. for wood found and old oak pallet love that old weathered look. pics soon.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, life has gotten in the way a little, but I have been making progress - just haven't had a chance to post much lately.

Anyways, the chair is *almost* done. Just need to get the strobes mounted, the speakers mounted, and everything wired up to the wirelessly controlled outlet.

Hopefully a video this weekend of the completed chair!

·
Registered
18 Posts
great tutorial there, finished my electric chair tonight, looks great LOL.

I was looking to put a couple of light bulbs at the top on either side of the chairs back, i can do this no problem but i want them to flicker rather than stay constantly on, would anyone know how to achieve this?

Regards

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would go to Lowes or Home Depot and grab some FS-2 Fluroescent starters, and wire them in-line with your lightbulbs to the wall outlet. The FS-2's will give them a pretty unique flicker pattern.

If you want both lights to flicker differently, grab 2.

I've got one of these thats going to make my mad lab ceiling light flicker.

Check this link out from this forum for more info: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/82929-flickering-light-question.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts