Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been a member here for a few years now and due to Halloween being on a Saturday, I had to make a decision between having our party or having an outdoor haunt.

Well, I said screw that! I decided to do indoor decorations - mostly atmosphere stuff like setting up my lightning effect from outside and shining it through our windows with synchronized dimming lights indoors and a thunderstorm soundtrack. As well as my newly revamped toe pincher "open and shut" prop.

But surprisingly what I'm most proud of was some ideas that my better half came up with, like hanging satin curtains from the ceiling and setting up my toe pincher in the living room as if it were a wake. A remarkably simple and cheap setup with a major impact.

What really drives it home for me are the little things that make it seem "real". In this case, the majority of these items/props came from random finds on eBay.

So now I present to you, a quick photo with some of my finds:

the curtains were from my local fabric store, we bought 5 yards and it ran us $15. It's suspended with a 7' long piece of conduit and two ceiling mount plant hooks from my local hardware store. The conduit was only $1 and the hooks were $2.

The changing portraits were from 4-5 years ago, so they don't count towards this years' bargains, but the sashes that are draped across them were also from my local fabric store where I bought 2 rolls of ribbon for $4 and a package of iron on letters for $5.

The flower centerpiece was actually found in a pile of junk last year. I cleaned it off, spray painted it flat black and then filled it with a flower arrangement from the dollar store and Michael's.

The candelabra next to the flower arrangement was my first big find on ebay. It's solid metal with a tarnished silver finish and only cost me $10 shipped.

On the opposite side of the flower arrangement is a brass bell, which will be used for my Madame Leota setup. It cost me $4 at the Goodwill and will allow my guests to participate in the swinging wake by "ringing the bell..." (I also have a small tambourine that will accompany it on a small table just outside of the room where Madame Leota will be)

The real show piece of this whole display was a bit expensive at $35 shipped, but was totally worth it. The sconce with two candle holders and vase was an amazing find. I had been working on a smaller flower arrangement in one of those containers for hanging flowers in mausoleums, but couldn't find a way to mount it. This sconce allowed me to display it in a place where everyone would see it, as well as give me somewhere to put my LED candlesticks so that I could give some ambient lighting to the changing portraits.

Sorry for being so long winded, but when I finally got home from work and was able to hang the sconce, it all just came together and it really started to feel like a good display.

I hope those of you who stuck around long enough to read it, enjoyed it and maybe got some ideas for your own displays!

Happy Haunting.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Just lovely! I'm doing a funeral theme for my party, so I'm totally in love with the idea of the wake in the "parlor" type of decor... you really came up with a great display with collected bits and pieces! :D

Devilishly Dutch
Looks great from what I can see!! More and better pics! :D

Registered
Looks great! The red satiny material really sets the room off nicely. I'd love to see more pics in a brighter light to better see the detail.

You might want to put a sign-in book at your entry where your "funeral attendees" could leave a message throughout the night. Could be a nice thing to keep and if you have enough blank pages at the end you could add photos and make a party album out of it.

I always hate to put holes in my walls so thought I'd share what I'm going to do for my halloween party to add draperies. I have a two open doorways in our downstairs, the thickness of a wall-- one between our entry/living room area and one between our living room/dining room area -- that I'm going to be hanging black velvet curtains from (bought very inexpensively from Ross Dress for Less this summer). The windows in our house are recessed from the walls so we have a few inches of space to use there as well. So to avoid adding any permanent hardware and patchwork later, I hang my doorway drapes and window drapes on spring tension rods (shower curtain & regular cafe tension rods work well depending on the need). The rods aren't too expensive if you go to places like BIG LOTS!. As long as the material is fairly lightweight, it's a great solution and the treatments come down quickly and cleanly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a few more pictures of my finds!

I forgot to mention these little fellas. I found them at Big Lots for $2 each, but they were white. So I picked up some flat black paint (with a hammered metal finish) and painted them. One will be a punch bowl and the other will hold candy.

Registered
Thanks for the additional pics. Much better to see and boy you really did get some nice looking stuff. I love the wall sconce and the arrangement with the calla lilies. That was a neat idea. Where did you get the flowers from? They're cool looking ferns and droopy whatever those flowers are. I like your candles too. Did you make those? Everything goes so well together.

We went for dinner and there was a BigLots and Goodwill nearby (funny how that seems to happen--hubby wised up after a few of these coincidences however). I found a nice white brass candle holder with the finger loop (vintage kind of looking). I really had been wanting one of them for my witches table. Saw two larger diameter ones in yellow brass but decided I liked the smaller white brass better, all three were solid metal too. Priced at $1.99 and for whatever reason got $.60 off of that so I was delighted.

Curious Dminor what kind of music will you be playing that night? Organ music? BTW the second Goodwill I went into had a Kimball wooden organ for $129 in it. Looked in pretty good condition but a bit rustic. Now that would be fun to have.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The flowers were all from my local Michael's craft store. I'm not sure where I got the knack for flower arranging, but I just go with my gut and buy stuff that I think I'd find inside of the Haunted Mansion.

The candles are my favorite new find for 2009. They're made by Spirit Halloween, but they're sold as a part of a candelabra set. I don't care for the candelabra, but at $39.99 for 5 realistic tapered candles, I couldn't pass up a set or two...Now I've got a few candelabra's to sell, just cause they aren't my style (too many sculls, etc.)

As for the music, I have a rain/thunder soundtrack that will be playing thru our surround sound system and then we'll have a halloween mix of music that my girlfriend is putting together as I write this.

She wanted to have a semi-themed party with the theme of "True Blood" the tv show...so we're doing half True Blood, and I'm a huge Haunted Mansion fan (our hallway has been converted to look like the mansion) so I'll be doing some mansion related stuff.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I forgot to add, but here's a picture of the wall sconce without the candles and flowers

The candles that the seller chose to put in it for the picture make it seem like its small, but it's actually quite big. Roughly 10" wide and 12" tall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts