Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After running a haunted house out of my house for the last 8years. I have joined with United Way as the featured charity, and we are looking at a seperate building. Today she called me (United Way) and has talked to a realator about a building. He seems excited as well as long as he gets some kudos aka free advertising. If he lends me a building we will make certain of advertising. Any thoughts and concerns we may have for anyone who has done this before I have a meeting with United Way on Friday.
Some concerns the realitor has is
parking
how long will the building be used
storage

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
Well I hope it all works out. It seems like the realtor has some valid concerns. With all the permitting, insurance and stuff like that it sounds like a ton of work. Good luck and keep everyone updated because it seems like you aren't the only on who wants to tackle something like this.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I would recommend contacting Empress Nightshade if possible - she went this route, and has very likely learned some incredibly valuable lessons, which you may end up encountering as well.

Congrat's on the sponsorship, and keep us updated on how things progress!

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
I would go over with her the ideas you have for the haunt theme. Would make sure that all your advertisers now what your plans are so that they are on board. Would have to have you put a lot of time and money into a project centered around Zombies and then they come around to saying they do not for what ever reason, support your decision, and want to back out.

Just my thoughts. Keep everyone in the loop.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good point. Unless I see the property hard to know what my themes will be, however I do have plenty of thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Congrats, scorpio. I've had an offer of a huge barn here every year to do a haunted house, but, I love having mine in my home because I get to live in it. For that reason, I've turned them down several times. However, there is insurance on the property already, which is usually a big concern.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,872 Posts
That is wonderful! Congrats and it's a great cause!

I'd be concerned about:

Insurance on both your scare actors /visitors, and property.

Hiring scare actors, security, parking guides (so they can make sure the parking is as efficient) etc...

If your actors and security etc are volunteers or paid, feeding them and getting them on schedules and able to do their costumes and makup...

Getting the local radio and television crews over there to cover your haunt (publicity!!)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Insurance I believe will be covered by united way and the realitor since it will be his property.
Never thought of parking lot attendants.
Last year we had little caesar donate 15 large pizzas to us but that was for one night only and at my house. I am hoping we get about the same.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
Insurance I believe will be covered by united way and the realitor since it will be his property.
Never thought of parking lot attendants.
Last year we had little caesar donate 15 large pizzas to us but that was for one night only and at my house. I am hoping we get about the same.
I don't run a haunt, but the absolute first thing I would find out about is the insurance and permits. You don't want to waste any time doing other stuff and then find out you can't do anything because you don't have insurance and permits.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
United Way and the realitor will be doing all the red tape and jumping through hoops. Myself and my partner will be doing the setup and any building for the haunt and all the planning. It will be a team effort, at least that is the foundation that we have set. I will learn more on Friday.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Way to go! I would be so excited to take something like this on! I know there will be a lot of work involved, make sure you remember how much you love the holiday and don't let it burn you out! Good luck on your haunt:)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will find out more at the end of the month. The United Way reps boss is concerned with the amount of work she may put into this. I assured her I would like to see her do the red tape etc. get donations, set up PR and round up volunteers. Be represented at the haunt. Myself and my partner would do all the planning, essentially no cost to the charity.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My partner is concerned with the type of building we would get. He is the brawns of the operation. He is the builder, with a commercial building most buildings have cement floors, his question or concern is he doesnt kmow if he can build wall or partitians in a commercial building. Is this a legimate concern for those that do haunted houses, out of their commercial building???

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good Luck how is it coming along.

Question:
  • are you taking any $$$ for all your time?
  • Is this all voluntary work by you?
  • Who is paying for building supplies which can be expensive?
  • You might need professional security, IE off-duty police that can be in uniform and carry side arm
Sounds awesome and I hope all goes well for you
-PB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts