Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am new to the forum and I wanted to share my big Halloween project for this season.

I have wanted the Grandin Road Headless Horseman since he debuted 5 years ago. Unfortunately, even though he is available again...he is still way out of my budget. So I thought I would try to make one for myself. This is my first life-size figure prop and I definitely had to wing it as I went along. He is not a mannequin. I built him from the boots up...gotta love that Great Stuff!
The pumpkin he has now is just a temporary one until I can get to the craft store and get one to carve myself.
***EDIT...I decided I actually liked the smiling pumpkin, so I attached him permanently***

Thanks for looking...:) And thanks to everyone here who has shared all their inspiring projects...it's because of you that I felt I could pull this off!

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot! Honestly, I never in a million years thought that the stupid pumpkin would be the hardest part! haha But I just can't find what I like. The Michael's ones look too fake, and the Fun-kin in the right size is too dark of orange. I actually like the size and color of the pumpkin I am temporarily using but I want it have a little more sinister look. I tried corpsing a pumpkin but did not like that at all. I guess I want a more traditional look...more like the actual story of Sleepy Hollow. Ideally, I want to carve the face of the Tim Burton Sleepy Hollow Scarecrow on my pumpkin.

·
Sleep with one eye open
588 Posts
Thanks alot! Honestly, I never in a million years thought that the stupid pumpkin would be the hardest part! haha But I just can't find what I like. The Michael's ones look too fake, and the Fun-kin in the right size is too dark of orange. I actually like the size and color of the pumpkin I am temporarily using but I want it have a little more sinister look. I tried corpsing a pumpkin but did not like that at all. I guess I want a more traditional look...more like the actual story of Sleepy Hollow. Ideally, I want to carve the face of the Tim Burton Sleepy Hollow Scarecrow on my pumpkin.
Hi StacyN ,

You could turn around the pumpkin you have and carve a new face in the opposite side . Maybe paper mache over the other face and repaint . Hope that helps .

·
Registered
854 Posts
Since you seem well aquainted with Great Stuff, there are several tutorials here on how to make your own pumpkin. This way you are able to make the face you want.
Of course as always, just a suggestion
HM

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bradg896: Thank you very much! I really think the GR road one is pretty awesome though.:)

theundeadofnight and Hallomarine: Thanks for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. Sadly, the pumpkin I corpsed was just like the one I am using only it had...you guessed it...a more sinister face! It had a couple cracks in it and I tried to fix it by the whole corpsing thing. Aarrgh... Right now I am so over it, I think I should take a break and revisit it. Things never turn out well when you're feeling like this... :p

·
Registered
706 Posts
StacyN,

Awesome job. I say even better than the Grandin Road's version and you didn't have to drop $600 + shipping!!!

Happy Haunting!!

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Great work StacyN. Do you mind elaborating on how he is made? Did you find the various pieces of clothing and fill them with Great Stuff? Did you make the chest piece yourself? I am in awe.... I bought the GR version because I don't have the talent to make something that nice, great job!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you frogkid11! I love your avatar!
No I don't mind elaborating...

I got the boots and attached them to the wood base (just particle board painted black) by screwing up from the bottom. At the same time I srcewed two wooden dowels into the boots that were about waist high.
Then I made a duct tape body form (my husband is very patient:)) legs and torso separate. I slipped the lower body over the dowels, attached the legs to the boots and then filled the lower body form up with the Great Stuff. Then I attached the upper body to the lower and filled it up with Great stuff. The arms are chicken wire forms because I needed them to move and bend.
I raided my husbands closet for the clothes and used Stiffy fabric stiffener to mold them into the shape that it looks like they are being worn instead of just hanging there.
The chest armor , belt and belt buckle are all made from one roll of craft foam.

And BTW frogkid11...don't sell yourself short on your talent. Sometimes you just have to throw yourself in there and see what happens. You might even surprise yourself. Honestly, most of my stuff comes from me wanting something I cannot afford...so I just give it a try. Yeah.. sometimes stuff ends up in the trash, but when it turns out...it's a great feeling.

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Thanks for sharing your secrets :) The biggest thing I didn't like about the GR version was that the cape seemed short. I know it is supposed to be patterned after a rider's cape to make it easier to get on and off of a horse, but I like the depictions of the HH with a long cape. I did make my own longer cape that puddles on the floor but I don't have any other talents to make him more unique. Here is my pic

headless horseman long cape.jpg

Glad you like the avatar - I have always loved everything dealing with the HH since I heard the Legend of Sleepy Hollow in elementary school.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you plan to display your awesome creation? Mine will be the big photo opp at my party this year and I'm hoping to build a small scene around him for the pictures.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh yes...the longer cape is a must! Yours looks wonderful! I am the same as you... I have loved all things Headless Horseman since I was a kid. I still watch the Disney cartoon ( and the TB version) every year!:) Our big trip to Sleepy Hollow last year was a dream come true for me!

I love your idea about setting a scene with him for photos! That's going to be great! I hope you post pics .

Sadly. my horseman is pretty much just for me. We moved to a fairly remote area in 2011 and there's just no ToT's here.:(
I am doing a whole Sleepy Hollow theme though. Cornstalks, cemetery , etc... At least I'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
StacyN - I just checked out the GR version of your HH. I must say yours has it all over the GR version. Awesome job!
As far as having no TOTs - advertise! It worked for me and my similar situation. I love to drive and will drive for a good display - most anywhere - give it a try!
Good Luck and send photos of your display - I want to see it!
HM

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Ah! I was wondering the secret to the body shape. The Duct Tape body cast explains it. I think my version might wind up looking more like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man though.

Any chance (if you have time..) of a tighter shot of the chest plate? It looks fantastic!

Frogkid, great job with the cape! He looks awesome!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts