Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i just got back from disneyworld.
took advatage of extra hours and fast pass for the mansion.
in both cases this took me straight by all the cool stones in the que line as you approached the entrance.
but since it was spring break and the lines were very long I made due with the pics taken from a previous trip.

but , in both trips through the the masion you were brought directly in the stretching room. walking past master graceys changing portrait. wasnt changing. just the end result nof him being a skeleton.
wondering if this is done purposly to speed things along during the busy season.
dont think it was the right thing to do.

got the the changing portraits of the everybody in the family at the gift shop. thanks to the forum for preping me on this.
also picked up the m"haunted mansion" wall plaque to go with the "wall hanging"

one dissappointing thing at the gift shop was they were out of the master gracey monogramed plate (just ther bowls were there). they said people were buying several at a time for the holidays ( so they had been out od stock for a while) and they didnt kniow when they were coming back in stock.
this was particulaly disappoining since they dont offer these at the online disney store and trips to disney arent often.

·
Registered
668 Posts
With literally thousands of visitors per day, they are bound to run out of items. I go every year (used to be every weekend when I lived in Jacksonville FL), and see it often. 2 years in a row I couldnt get a turkey leg!! You'd think something that is sold in every park would be easy to get. Nope. Either sold out and don't know when next batch would arrive, or closed due to all the construction. I made up for it this past trip and ate 4.
The rushing through cues is another thing that happens. About 3years ago, they didn't even do the stretching room preshow on one of my visit to HM. You were only in the room long enough for the entry door to close and the ride entry door to open. I've seen it plenty on test track (version 1.0) where they skipped the preshow entirely. Same with rockin roller coaster.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It may feel like a"Financial Necessity" to ram paying customers through faster to A) Get more munny! B) Try to make an unruly crowd less destructive?
Many Octobers ago the parking lot in front of my Haunt was full of people who had driven hours to see the house, and then had to wait in-line for at least another hour.

Here is what I did: I "Communicated" with them,explained it like this:"We are trying to put on a good "Show" here, we are trying to give EVERYONE the same good show,I am sure no one would be "Happy" getting rushed through here when they get inside."
Those faces in the crowd seemed to understand. Taking the time to tell them that you know they are getting upset and that you care about the quality of what they have paid for ,I believe does "Wonders" for any situation.

Reactions: WickedWino

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
I actually have some knowledge on this. My best friends uncle was on of Disneyland's imagineers and he said that on crowded day's in the park a lot of the attraction operators are told to bypass some parts of rides in order to move the line through quicker and that the Haunted mansion is especially hit with this order because half the ride is walking so what they do is walk you right through all the walking parts and just have you line up at the doom buggies. some of the other ones are, a shorten ride time on Space Mountain.

And a marketing trick by Disney is to short order gift shop supplies in an attempt, to keep people coming back in hopes of finding what they want, thats why some stuff isn't sold on the website and only avialable in the park.

Like i said, this is not a conspiracy theory this is what i was told by a real Disney imageineer.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
you can call Disney Merchandising and have the items you wanted shipped to you. If you are interested and need it, i can dig up the number for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry to stray off topic, but as someone that actually operated SEVERAL WDW attractions... this is simply not true. At least at every attraction I ever operated.

There is no magic button to shorten the length of Space Mountain. Or any other attraction that I worked. The ride time is almost always the same. The only thing that MAY change, based on a parks' "busy-ness" for the day, is how often rides are dispatched. But that doesn't change how long your ride actually is.

The only thing that I can thing of as to the reason you went into the stretch room is that the effect in the foyer simply was broken. Whether or not that effect is working doesn't' change how many doombuggies are running and how fast they move...

-=CoasterBP

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can call Disney Merchandising and have the items you wanted shipped to you. If you are interested and need it, i can dig up the number for you.
I was thinking the same thing. so I got the email from the shipping receipt I got when I shipped home some merchandise.
dont know if it will make a difference but i figure it cant hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
coasterbp
didnt think there was much to break down on the changing portrait.
it did seem to be an attempt to quicken the que line if you consider that is part of the que line. and you cant change the speed of the doombuggie or the actual "ride".
space mountain dosent have the same type of que line where part of the que line is a "pre show" that techniquely isnt the actual ride.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's an easy way to tell... after the stretch rooms, was the room that you load into the doombuggies full of people, or was it empty?

If it was empty, then yes, they were probably trying to get people in there quicker so they didn't have empty doombuggies going out...

If there was already a good amount of people in there, after the stretch rooms, then my money goes with that the effect simply wasn't working or was already at the end of its cycle.

After re-reading your initial post, you said that the portrait was already at the end... it could be that both times you were at the end of the effect as well. I've had that happen several times. Were you one of the first ones into the foyer? Or last?

Also, you said that it was busy... so another safe assumption is that they were probably trying to overfill the foyer the make sure that the room after the stretch rooms remain full of people so that they DON'T have empty doombuggies going out...

That's my $.02

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They directed people into the streching room. Bypassing the first room altogether both times.
If you didnt know...you would just see a portrait of a skeleton
I really wanted to see this effect. Cause i am making one.
Doombugies not backed up.

Spring break....crowded parks

·
Registered
359 Posts
I get that they have to rush people through the pre show when it's super busy, but it makes me sad to think that may be happening to a first timer and they're not getting the full show.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts