Halloween Forum banner

My Demon Horse as an Inflatable, lol!

5026 31
Well, I'll be!, lol

Being busy last fall with the move I missed this completely. Halloweenprops4ever found this on eBay. The description says it's a Gemmy prototype black horse:

Looks kind of familiar:

Can't decide if I should be upset or flattered...
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
335 Posts
:eek:
Wow, if there ever was any proof they copy off of people onlone...
Even down to the shape of the scratch marks on his side. It's okay, though. Theirs barely looks like a horse anyway. :rolleyes:

· Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,829 Posts
Take this as the ultimate compliment, and contact them asking for a little recognition if they release it. If there's no financial benefit perhaps in the naming of their reproduction.

· Caretaker of Eerie Manor
7,198 Posts
I think I'd be flattered, however I'd be tempted to contact someone at Gemmy with pictures of your horse and dates and ask them if they see a resemblance. Clearly they didn't come up with the "prototype". As mentioned, more proof that creative things we do in our garages and workshops are copied by big merchandisers to make a profit. I'd at least let them know about it. Be interesting to see their reaction/response.

· Hauntless
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still a little shell-shocked but I guess I'm more flattered. I've been inspired by other's art and in fact pretty much copied Miles Teves' concept art for the Hell Hound. We are all inspired by each other's art. Just gets a little weird when you see a company do it. But, I share the how-to's so it would get copied and shared though the Halloween community. It takes a lot of time to create a prop and I look at the tutorials as time-savers for all of us. It's also so I can repay others who made tutorials or ideas that I followed. It's a circle of haunter's life :)

· Somewhat Eccentric
2,590 Posts
I'd be flattered too, but it would be nice if they at least gave you a little credit as it's just a little too uncanny.

I do agree about getting inspiration from others as that's how I've learned so much in the few years I've been here. As a matter of fact I've followed your tombstone tutorials and incorporated your techniques into my own.

· Registered
201 Posts
You know what they say, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." I bet they have a person whose main job is to search these forums all day looking for something to imitate.:p I would take it as a complement because they thought your work was good enough to steal and make a mass produced item out of it.:)

· Scaring kids everywhere!
3,704 Posts
Sadly this is not the first time this has happened. Recently the work of William Bezek was “lifted” as well as Grim's cloaked ghost.
Oddly I don't have a problem if a pro haunt uses ideas gleaned from the forums but I do have major issues when a company blatantly steals a member’s work and mass produces it as their own!
Our small little community happily shares our knowledge and ideas with each other and hopefully even when we are inspired by or flat out "borrow" other members’ ideas we graciously give them some credit and or acknowledgement. ( I know that I have been guilty of not always remembering to do that myself.)
I am not so naive as to think that people live in a creative vacuum. I realize that people look everywhere for inspiration and that in today’s digital world the constant flow of ideas is easier and more prolific than ever before. As haunters we all use and alter the iconic images of Halloween. As a result finding new ways to present ghosts, demons, witches, etc. can be increasingly challenging. That being said when we ( forum members) are inspired by each other’s art / work but we use these ideas as individuals.
Terra as usual you are waaaaay too kind and far more genial than I would ever be, I for one do not find it the least bit flattering when a corporation takes one of our ideas, copies it almost identically, passes it off as their own, and sells it in mass production!

· Reaper Queen
9,280 Posts
I have mixed feelings here too, flattery? yes, of course! BUT, as THL said, I have more of a problem with a company or corporation making money from a haunters hard work. I have actually seen several things that we all would know are lifted, if it was another industry other than home haunters, copy right issues would be at play here,. I as well have used others ideas and run with them, but they are either for my own personal use or for gifts for the secret reaper, not for financial personal gain.

· Chocolate is my BFF!
4,227 Posts
I am with you on this. I totally agree.

Sadly this is not the first time this has happened. Recently the work of William Bezek was “lifted” as well as Grim's cloaked ghost.
Oddly I don't have a problem if a pro haunt uses ideas gleaned from the forums but I do have major issues when a company blatantly steals a member’s work and mass produces it as their own!
Our small little community happily shares our knowledge and ideas with each other and hopefully even when we are inspired by or flat out "borrow" other members’ ideas we graciously give them some credit and or acknowledgement.
I am not so naive as to think that people live in a creative vacuum. I realize that people look everywhere for inspiration and that in today’s digital world the constant flow of ideas is easier and more prolific than ever before. As haunters we all use and alter the iconic images of Halloween. As a result finding new ways to present ghosts, demons, witches, etc. can be increasingly challenging. That being said when we ( forum members) are inspired by each other’s art / work but we use these ideas as individuals.
Terra as usual you are waaaaay too kind and far more genial than I would ever be, I for one do not find it the least bit flattering when a corporation takes one of our ideas, copies it almost identically, passes it off as their own, and sells it in mass production!!!!

· Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Our small little community happily shares our knowledge and ideas with each other and hopefully even when we are inspired by or flat out "borrow" other members’ ideas we graciously give them some credit and or acknowledgement.
Terra as usual you are waaaaay too kind and far more genial than I would ever be, I for one do not find it the least bit flattering when a corporation takes one of our ideas, copies it almost identically, passes it off as their own, and sells it in mass production!!!!
I have no problem with "borrowing" ideas, but not everyone acknowledges it like they should. I was surprised to see a pic of one of my props as someone else's avatar.

· Hauntless
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all so very much. Haunters are the best group in the world. The support and Halloween hugs I've gotten today was wonderful.

Been thinking about this all day and am happy to say that I have fallen on the side of being flattered. Many years ago I thought about this very thing happening if I was to make all these tutorials. Heck - many times I even give measurements - knowing full well that there may be companies that would like the idea very much. Decided that I would be fine if that happened. Never wanted to make money nor get into the messy business selling them. But to actually have it happen to me was a shock and didn't expect the jumble of emotions. That's worn off now and am fine with the whole thing. In fact, I hope they go ahead with it (yes - that's permission) because I would love to see Inflatables made that are more scary and a help to us Home Haunters. That Demon Horse was huge and a pain to make. Just being able to have Inflatables that are actually scary and helps us 'scare' up our cemetery more would be awesome. So, I hope they continue with the project and even expand to other scary inflatables. There are plenty of cutesy ones (I have two) but wouldn't it be neat to plug something in and have a 12' tall monster in the graveyard? Finally, a useful inflatable.

I love the haunt community that we are so sharing of each other's ideas and props and am happy to keep that going. Many times I've been heavily inspired by other's work and hope to do the same to others. Even to companies. It would be pretty neat to walk into a Wal-Mart and see the Demon Horse in someone's shopping cart or, better, driving around the neighborhood on Halloween. Seriously - I'm totally okay with this and did foresee this as a possibility. (would have looked better if they kept the wings though) ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.