Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this was an interesting day today. Let me first state that I've had my yard haunt up since 01 October. That being said, I woke up this morning to find my yearly "Your the devil" pamphlets stuck in my gate in the front of my house. They usually come once I put my decorations out telling me I need to have my soul saved. Hahahahhaa My opinion is "lighten up, they are just decorations!" But the joke is on them. I was raised in a pretty religious household; I don't "need to be saved." hahahhahahahaa

Does anyone else get these types of pamphlets?

Also, on this day, I met with a reporter to talk about my haunt. I normally don't like to "broadcast" my haunt in the paper since it brings out the real weirdos and thieves, but since I had a donation box out for the animal shelter, I told them I would talk with them if they talked about the shelter. They also took a bunch of pictures to be used for the article. They said it should be in the paper on Monday and I will try to post it when it does come out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the local paper here in Dubuque coming here on Friday. I am nervous. I have allot of props, fence and a cool trail around the house but I am worried it will bring the WIERDO'S out. We have allot of drive-bys, but I am still scared. I did allot of work just to worry about someone messing with it. Good luck with your Haunt

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Also, on this day, I met with a reporter to talk about my haunt. I normally don't like to "broadcast" my haunt in the paper since it brings out the real weirdos and thieves, but since I had a donation box out for the animal shelter, I told them I would talk with them if they talked about the shelter. They also took a bunch of pictures to be used for the article. They said it should be in the paper on Monday and I will try to post it when it does come out.
Thumbs to you for helping the animals.:D:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
On Sunday afternoon there was a group of Jevoah Witnesses (I think) canvasing the neighborhood. I had a couple friends helping. My one friend even brought his two daughters. I'm white/jewish, my boyfriend is japanese and was raised morom but now an atheist, my one friend is chinese and non-dominational chrisitan, and my other friend is mexican and raised bapist, and his daughters are mexican/filipino being raised catholic. We were quite the group and were ready to talk religion; however, they passed our house going so far as to cross the street as we watched. I did, however, come home from work Monday and find a number of pamphlets on my porch.

Gotta love it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not doing anything this year because I dont have anything to put up and being laid off I dont have the money. But hopefully next year I am planning on it. Only thing is I live adjacent from a "Cowboy Church". Not sure how they will feel about it, but Im not to concerned since they arent concerned about their arena lights shining in my windows all the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am afraid it is going to get worse. Here is the mindset, this was written in response to a newspaper article here asking churchs to list alternate celebrations to Halloween:

"What a shame that, nowadays, faithful people have to come up with "alternatives" to poor old Halloween. When I was a kid we had Halloween carnivals AT THE CHURCH, because, heck, NOBODY took any of the ghosts and goblin stuff seriously. Now, I, like any other devout Christian have to stay away from such events because we might actually advance the cause of satan, for pete's sake."

Apparently some are being told that "devout" Christians have to stay away from Halloween celebration. As with anything, most are going to use common sense about that, but you are going to have some that get really freaked out. If you are approached by one of these, it might be a good idea to not make your eyes turn red, speak in a Optimus Prime voice, or illuminate any horns that you might have on your body. Some of them are well armed, just sayin'.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I would love to get something like that left on my door when my haunt is up and running. It would just motivate me to make next year's haunt even more "out there".

I wonder if the new electric chair prop will be enough to get something like that..... or it may be the demented rock music I'll be playing.

I don't think anybody will have any problems with what I'm doing though.... but ya never know. Everything was a big hit last year so hopefully it will be this year also.

·
Registered
385 Posts
On the other hand I have the Youth Minister of our church come over helping me set up each year and then he and I go to Six Flags Frightfest. I guess if I did have a problem, I'd suggest they talk to him. I did get the race card once from a zombie hangin from a tree after i burnt a 6 foot cross in my yard. (was making a pirate display - it was really was to be a mast off a ghost ship, but in retrospect, it looked like a cross) Which was just bad timing because a new (race) family had just moved in down the street and had no clue about our halloween.

·
Registered
119 Posts
LOL @ the mast story.
I still have a little one, I can't go too crazy or I will scar him for life and he won't sleep in his own bed anymore. I can do a graveyard, but no bodies crawling out yet or anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
We do a spooky garden walk in our very large (1 acre) wooded yard. The jr hi kids are the ghosts and goblins that work it. They get a huge kick out of helping and it lets them be involved with TOT during that 'I'm too cool for this' age (but WE know they still really want to).

Last year we were all having a grand time setting up the props, graveyard, etc and some guy drove up and started talking to the kids from his car about if they really knew what Halloween was about and their souls.

I told him to vacate the neighborhood immediately. He drove off and then came back a bit later with the same MO about the kids souls. This time I took a picture of him and his license plate. And was much less pleasent about him leaving and never coming back.

The kicker is he creeped the kids out big time and I am a Sunday School teacher and the church's Superintendant. I guess some folks just can't relax and have a little spooky fun!

And yes, I did forward the info to our neighborhood cop.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I live in a college town. I was at the university working today and came out to find a pamphlet about the bible and homosexuality. The thing that bugs me the most is the thing is from a church 60 miles away. They aren't even trying to get new members, they are simply trying to make people fearful and shamed.

I have the local paper here in Dubuque coming here on Friday. I am nervous. I have allot of props, fence and a cool trail around the house but I am worried it will bring the WIERDO'S out. We have allot of drive-bys, but I am still scared. I did allot of work just to worry about someone messing with it. Good luck with your Haunt
DBQ hu? I'm 25 miles from you up in Pville! Would you be interested in meeting up sometime?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts