Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I finallly have some video of my Crawling Skeleton I made a few years ago. I upgraded his skull this year by taking the head out of one of those Spirit Balls and mounting it on his neck frame. I normally trigger it manually with a hand held remote control. Scared one girl pretty good this Halloween as she was posing for pics by it and it started moving. This one uses an 18 RPM motor for movement. I have another one I made with a 6 RPM motor.

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Really nice job. I can see why it gave a scare, especially if you think it's a static prop to begin with. I was surprised at how well it crawled on the grass.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the compliments!! I did have a detailed tutorial with pics for making this prop on both the Monsterlist and HauntProject, but it was on my AOL Hometown page which AOL totally shut down on Oct. 31st ( Happy Halloween!).
I'm trying to find another cheap or free web host that I can re-do it on.
This prop uses a double shafted motor I got from SurplusCenter.com which hasn't been available for quite a while. I'm planning to experiment and see if I can make it work using two single shafted motors. That way anyone who wants to make one could do so.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks again for the compliments!!Here's a couple of pics from the build. The first pic shows the mechanics of it all. Each "arm" is mounted 180 degrees from the opposite "arm". As the dual- shafted motor rotates (think of it as similar to rowing a boat) each arm alternately hits the ground and lifts that side of the frame (skeleton) off the ground and also forward. Then the other arm rotates around and does the same on the opposite side.
The second pic is a close up of the pivot ball joint used to make it work.
Here's a link to my album with more pics:

DaveNTracy/Crawling Skeleton - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's the bad thing. I got these motors from SurplusCenter.com about 4 years ago. They were out of stock pretty soon after I bought mine.
I want to experiment and see if the same movement can be made using two single shafted motors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts