Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow addicts!

So, at long last I am getting around to building some cemetery pillars. I have been wanting to build these for years now but never got around to it. It was actually some similar pillars that I saw online way back in 2009 that got me started on building my very own props. Back then, I never would have attempted these but I have learned a lot in the passed few years. Anyway, without further ado, some progress pics. I started off by making the plaques which are sort of the centerpieces for these props along with some crows I bought on clearance from Spirit way back when as well......I'll post some more pics as the project progresses. So far so good, I think! plaques 1.jpg plaques 2.jpg plaques 3.jpg plaques 4.jpg plaques 5.jpg plaques 6.jpg pillars 1.jpg

You can still see some of the Great Stuff that I used to fill in some of the gaps...it won't look like that for the finished pillars naturally. I haven't even started on #2 yet. Haha. If anyone was interested, I could take additional pics as I am building the 2nd one if you wanted to see how it was done. :) Oh, and the crow is not centered in this pic, btw. I only set him on the top for the pic so you'd have an idea what the finished pillars might look like. He still needs to be painted and affixed to the top. For demonstration purposes only.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much! I will post the pair when I finally get them finished. They are proving to be a helluva lot of work but I hope they'll be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again everyone.

I actually used an exacto knife to do the "carving" this time around and I found that I can get wayyyyy more detail in it than using my traditional wood burning method. It was a bit labor intensive but I actually found it sorta fun and also less stinky than burning. I have yet to try the dremel method but I am sure I will at some point.

No blue prints per se, sorry. I will take a pic of my frame though so you can see how it was constructed. The basic form is very simple and fairly inexpensive. A friend of mine assisted me and we just got some cheap pieces of discount lumber from Home Depot and an old sheet of ply wood for the bottom that he had laying around.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow, that's impressive! I look forward to seeing them finished.

By the way, what did you do to get that look on your signs? By "look" I mean the bumpy background around the lettering. Was that just with an exacto knife?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much Chops! Yes, the texturing on the plaques was created by lightly dragging the tip of the exacto knife across the foam in random patterns. I did the same technique to texture the pillars on a larger scale with a small serrated blade I had. It's kind of hard to tell in the previous picture but I think the texture should give the pillars are somewhat stonish look when they're completed. Perhaps you can see more of what I am talking about in this pic..... texture.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for the explanation SG. I might try to duplicate that on my sign. I carved my out with a Dremel tool and the background is very smooth. I like the rough look yours has, it's much more interesting.

I can't wait to see your columns all done. Great work so far!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Great job! I would love more pics when you build the 2nd pillar. This is on the top of my to do list and I haven't started because I am just nervous.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Cai, I appreciate it. I would be happy to post some additional pics when I start building pillar #2! No need to be nervous, the pillars are not actually hard to make, just time intensive. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HI there Dan! It wasn't a template as such. The shape was actually taken from a wooden plaque that I saw at Micheal's that I liked the shape of. I traced the plaque and then returned it. I know, my bad, but us haunters are frugal ones aren't we?? Heh.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts