Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first tutorial so bare with me. I posted my idea of a fence that can be disassembled and stored in a 55 gal barrel after Halloween. I wanted it to be life size like a real cemetery since my tombstones are too. Here goes.
I wanted the sections to be 6 feet each
So i bought a 12 ft 2x6. Cut it in half. Then I ripped 6 evenly measured lengths from each 2x6 section.

I am using 1/2" pvc pipe. The outside diam is about 7/8". So I drill holes (a lot of holes) 8" apart. 8 holes in each rail.

So I needed a way to connect the rails to the posts without having to buy hardware

I use rebar to hold the posts up.

Slid each pipe in place

And then I cut the curve in.
A pic of the parts for one section

heres a video

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I wanted 6' sections. 2x2 came in 8' only. I would have to cut off two feet from each piece of wood and that would be a waste of wood. My way it worked perfect. No waste at all. Of course if you wanted 4 or 8 foot sections than 8 footers would be ok

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'm also working on a fence. I purchased 1x4s instead of 1x2s because the 1x4s where cheaper than 2 1x2s. I have a table saw so why not save a couple of bucks and rip my own 1x2s. I actually got 3 1x4s that were virtually knot free.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
Great tut, I'm always thinking for ways to build with "break down" ability as far as storage is concerned.
Matter of fact, I just finished my own fence this past week, it was an epic Job but I used screws all over, saw this too late.
The only thing that concerns me is will it hold up when it gets "stressed" by say a kid stepping on top of the lower rung and having the whole thing come crashing down? I don't know if I'm willing to take that chance after all that hard work.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
I guess mine is still susceptible to damage if mistaken for wrought iron, just crossing my fingers the kids don't get on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks great! How much approx did it end up costing you? I see all these cool projects made with pvc pipe, only problem is, where I live in ontario it's hard to find pvc plumbing and it's not cheap! I feel like i should take a run over the border to pick up supplies! Lol

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think it will be about $150 when all said and done. It is a bit pricey but it plays such a major part of my display it couldn't be avoided. I have wanted to do it for the last two years. But this year I am finally doing it.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
I've spent close to that amount if not the same gr8johnson and I haven't even ordered finials. Looking for way to address the finials in the cheapest possible way but I know they run at least another what $30?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I need 104 at present. I refuse to pay 20 bucks for shipping. I have an idea to try. Search here for a guy that used 1/2" foam board and made them. Or I was thinking about using foam balls that can behad for $15 shipped.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
What do you think about Chewbaca's idea. He suggested heating the end of spindle with a heat gun, flatten it when its all soft, let it harden back up, then cut it into a sharp diamond like shape..or something like that

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it is a great idea. I heated up the top 3" of one and messed around d twisting it and flattening it. I actually make hinged joints for figures by heating and flattening pvc. My only complaint is I have over 100. All the pvc dust drives me nuts. But I might do it anyway. Because it's free. I will experiment later today. If I get any good results I will post. But remember anything is good if it works.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
Yeah, that's the downside, the amount of spindles you would have to do

I don't want to unscrew mine (top and bottom)and then paint them at the top again

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
24 Participants
glasshalffull
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing