Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last yr for Halloween I did a simple cemetery entrance, mostly just ran out of time and used the resources I got.

Well this yr, we/I wanted to update the entrance, I decided to go with two 7 ft columns with lights and signs on them. So this thread is going to show you our progress, get ready for the ride, I know this guy is!

So we started with the 1x1 verticle frame with 2x4 horizontal supports and reliefs.

We just started covering them with blue foam

Next will be adding the lights to the middle 2x4 support, I'm going to use the ones that follow but use black spray paint to age them and add a flicker bulb.

Hanging under those will be cemetery signs

I hope to use Terra's method and Raven Manors method of painting to complete the columns, I will keep you updated with progress.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Those lights and sign are going to look great on your columns! Your cemetary will be rockin!

MsM

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, my only concern, which I think is most peoples concern, is the painting, I haven't painted a prop besides my sign and I hated how that came out, it can make or break a prop, so hopefully it all works out. I will keep you updated.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Hallow and too cool for ghouls! Love your fence too. Did you use pallet wood for it? Don't sweat the paint job. You could slather on a coat of Monster Mud for texture, then paint with several coatings of spray paint - or whatever you find on the "oops" shelf that fits the color. Don't forget to creep it up with moss (Dollar store). Your set up looks great! I grew up in Upstate (near Syracuse.) Some of my the BEST Halloween memories are there... post pics when you are done :) and. . . BOO!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to use drylock as the texturer and waterproofer. And yes my fences are wood pallets, a local Michaels gave them too me, they were worried I wouldn't want them because of the bad condition, but I told them it was perfect, I also left them uncovered this past winter to make them look better!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish I could Si. But time and location are not on my side, I live in an apt, so this is all done at my parents that is about 40 mins away, so it's only when I can get up there for a decent length of time will I be able to get more work done, which is looking like another two weeks. If i had a workspace I would be working on it every night.

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,638 Posts
oops

:eek: Sorry, I didn't mean to rush. I understand about having to find time to do it. I just wanted to give you a good compliment and root you on your great ideas! ;)

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
I'm going to use drylock as the texturer and waterproofer. And yes my fences are wood pallets, a local Michaels gave them too me, they were worried I wouldn't want them because of the bad condition, but I told them it was perfect, I also left them uncovered this past winter to make them look better!
Ah Drylock! I've been reading many folks use it. Cool!
Thanks too for the tip on where else to find pallets. I lost my source when a company hauled away a nearby construction dumpster. Should have been faster! I snoozed... :p

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i love your old pic even./.did u have a fog machine going as well..or is that the pic i kind of c a blur near the cemetary keeper?
The old entrance was suffice, but not really what you would find at a cemetery. If you look the fog is actually coming out of the coffin that is standing up, I put a strobe light in there and the fog machine and had it going all night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have found the use of 1/2" PVC pipe to come in very usefull when making cemetary fences, just take 2 eight foot long 1x3 boards and drill hole evenly spaced and slide the pipes in and glue, and paint black. cut the pipe diferent lengths to make arched fence panels or convex shaped. carve some foam medival crosses out of 2" pink foam and you have an authentic medival cemetary. it kindof hard to see it well, I'll have to find another pic. I don't have the crosses on yet, we were still decorating when the photo was taken

1 - 20 of 26 Posts