Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just about finished my first build for next year! I made this guy using designs and advice from several forum members to create a completely "frameless" cauldron creep. It is a full pose n stay skelly that stands on it's own two legs with no visible framework other than the base it mounts to, which is mostly covered by the cauldron and coals to counterbalance the skelly. Thick all-thread in the legs and a piece of emt conduit in the spine provide all the support. I took the idea of having bones in the cauldron to keep it from looking empty and hide the mechinism from Daveinthegrave and Rabbit101 and ran with it. I made a small wire screen platform attached to a second post on the arm off the cauldron motor, then screwed and glued bones together like a puzzle to completely cover the opening, yet leave room for the stick to move. The only bone that is not fixed in place is the 1/2 skull, which just sits on top of the attachment bolt so that I will be able to easily access the bolt to remove the bones If I need to. I really like how the cauldron looks with the bones covering the motor.

A photo of the creep while I was working on him...

Upright and standing on his own!

And a video of it in his current state...

Only thing left to do to wrap up this project and store it away for next year is to re-route all the wiring to conceal it, and a little bit of finishing detail.

·
Sleep with one eye open
585 Posts
Everything about this Creep is fantastic . The combination of those Creeps made before you (always nice to see credit given to the influences) and your creative touches truly makes this unique . The lighting under the rotating bones creates a beautiful break up effect on the face and body . This makes me want to build one myself , great inspiration .Nicely done Nightfisher .

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll try and remember to get some pics of how the bones are attached tomorrow while i'm cleaning up my workshop. It's really simple, but a bit tedious to assemble. I used almost an entire bag of bones, 80% of a small 2ft skelly taken apart, and some misc small bones that used to be some kind of Halloween jewelry. It created a lot of nice natural looking variation in size and color by using three sources of bones. Best way to describe how I assembled the bones together is like a puzzle that moves. The skull just sits there covering the bolt that holds the mesh to the post. All I have to do to get to the bolt is pick up the skull. The first few bones I screwed to the screen before attaching it. I chose long bones first and mounted each one with one screw underneath so that I could pivot them once the screen was attached to the cauldron and get them how I wanted with no rubbing. These three or four bones support most of the other bones that hang off the edge of the screen. I wanted to use as small of a piece of hardware screen as I could get away with to give it that floating effect without visible support. After getting those first few bones secured and the screen attached to the cauldron I began the process of gluing and screwing down bones one at a time. I had to watch it rotate, decide on placement of the next bone, stop it, glue the bone in, start it back up to verify there was no rubbing or interference with the stick, then watch it again to figure out where the next one went. I actually had to do it twice because the first time I just used hot glue and the bones popped off easily. Second time around I used small screws along with the hot glue to create anchor points that locked everything together.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,430 Posts
Your cauldron creep looks FANTASTIC, Nighfisher! The movement of everything looks really smooth, the stirring, the head movement and the rotating bones.
Thanks for the shout-out on the rotating bones idea. I'm glad I could inspire someone.
Awesome job !
I'm wanting to re-do my creep that I made in 2012. I didn't even use him in my display this year. I put out my Stirring Witch instead.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Nightfisher - thanks for the mini tut on the bones. That is such a cool effect
DaveintheGrave - could you redirect us back to your how-to?
I've got to get one of these cauldrons going, and I'm gonna need all the help I can get!
thanks guys!
HM

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks, Dave! After seeing the extra videos where you took it apart to show someone else, I think I get it. I love your work. Always inspired to try something else when I see what you do.

·