Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was afraid to post this but I do want to have my peers look it over. This is my captains wheel. Not mounted yet and I have to figure an easy way to make it turn a bit. but I went with old and rotting wood look and I added all the posts back on it ( I left 3 out before ) Mostly I did this due to the fact I cand make a prestine looking captains wheel and I wanted it to look like its been under the water for a while.

Attachments

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
That turned out great! I think most folks use either a windshield wiper motor or a motor from an animated Xmas reindeer to make the wheel move. You may want to look at Bobzilla's albums. He does some pretty outstanding stuff with latex barnacles and starfish.

Do you have other pics of your Ship's wheel as you built it? I would love to see the process.....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its actually foam on top of thin wood. I think I saw the barnacles on a site but I dont think im going to have time ill try i like the look of them. ill ad more pictures down the road.

·
Registered
503 Posts
One of the best Captains Wheels that I have seen. Just in case next year you want to add some motion, I used a Monster Guts wiper motor on my wheel and am very happy with it.

PB

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think that looks great! I made mine a couple years ago using a wooden wagon wheel from Harbor Freight (it was on special for $15 and I couldn't resist). I brought it home, took off the metal band on the outer perimeter of the wheel, drilled holes and screwed in furniture legs from the Depot to continue each "spoke" out past the wheel. It looks okay and works great but wouldn't stand up to close inspection like I think yours would. Outstanding job!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I use the spray paint to melt the foam in some spots the cheaper the spray paint the more it eats it away. Could be a good thing but It can ruin a piece if your not careful.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T be honest making it look old and beat is an easy way out for me making one from a wagon wheel. to do that is over my head to be honest im amazed at those.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts