Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a couple of static naval cannons for my POTC display this year. I did a lot of internet research for pics before I built them. I used a combination of 2x6 scrap lumber and 4" black PVC pipe. I used lawn mower wheels with threaded rod axles and added black hardware and chains to finish them off.

I started with the 2x6 frames. I mitered the ends and screwed them together:

I then cut and glued up the PVC cannon sections. I used a power miter saw to cut the PVC to length. I found some wooden deck post finials for the rounded ends:

I then spray painted the frames brown and added small pieces of wood to the sides of each carriage to mount the lawn mower wheels on the threaded rod:

Finally, I spray painted some metal straps and rings black and added the chain to the carriages. I also wrapped the ends of both cannons with some rope:

I set the cannons up on each corner of my deck with a 2x6 board for a crosspiece to rest the rear wheels on and tied them in place with rope:

Of course after I built them, I found this forum and saw all the plans to make them shoot air & smoke.........so that is on my list of prop conversions for next year!

"One Eyed" Mick

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thats gotta be one of the coolest home made pirate cannons I ever seen. good stuff. Cant wait to see the new upgarde on those cannons for next year.

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That skellie in the last picture looks like he is having a great time. The cannons are terrific!
That is a half torso skeleton and he fit perfectly on the back of the cannon!

Thats gotta be one of the coolest home made pirate cannons I ever seen. good stuff. Cant wait to see the new upgarde on those cannons for next year.
Thanks! I got the most comments on my cannons from all the visitors that came by. Many wanted to know if they were real or not, so I thought that was a pretty good compliment. The cannons were a lot of fun to make and took me about a week to complete them both. I am working on plans to add an air tank and a smoke chamber to them so they will shoot out a large blast of compressed air and smoke. I will let you know how that goes......

Mick

A

·
0 Posts
Cool!

I like those cannons, they do look real good and should be easy to add compressed air and some fog. :)

I actually made my small ones from a 8" x 48" tall concrete sonotube.
Cannon Picture - 1

Cannon Picture - 2

I might actually make 1 or 2 larger ones for next year.

Thanks for sharing mic214 .... nice job! :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Great improvisation for a cannon prop! I made mine last year out of sonotube like aSmarterU did and got a nice result. However I will be refinishing it this year to look rougher, like his. I will also be adding wheels so it looks more authentic. The skeleton pirate was a great touch, I like!

·
Registered
448 Posts
update?

Any new pics on the upgrades?

That is a half torso skeleton and he fit perfectly on the back of the cannon!

Thanks! I got the most comments on my cannons from all the visitors that came by. Many wanted to know if they were real or not, so I thought that was a pretty good compliment. The cannons were a lot of fun to make and took me about a week to complete them both. I am working on plans to add an air tank and a smoke chamber to them so they will shoot out a large blast of compressed air and smoke. I will let you know how that goes......

Mick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Avast there One-Eyed Mick!

Just wanted to thank you for posting this design. We just made a couple of our own for a school play: http://gallery.me.com/anthony.shortland#100135 ... worked brilliantly well!

You'll see we used 1x6 to keep the weight down, and found locking castor wheels to make them mobile on-stage. The total cost was $244 ... but we one-stop-shopped at Home Depot so could probably do better on the costs.

Anthony Shortland,
Mountain View, CA.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How much do they weigh?

I am sure storing them might take up some room. I've wanted to do a pirate theme for a while now and I am thinking maybe next year I can do a few pirate props.

The cannons look great!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts